Doesn't seem right!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for main jets, number is stamped on them, look in the manual to see what size you have from factory. Like I said some like to jump up a size, on faired models more than standards, others don't. K & N air filters work well, & you clean, re oil & reuse. As for higher elevations believe you lean the fuel as air is leaner, also amount to turn in to lean is listed in manual. Agree on belts replacement!!!

As difficult as this may be, I was wrong. I stopped by the mail box awhile ago and much to my surprise, there is a box from Rockauto containing 2 timing belts and an oil filter...now all I need is to change them out for the old ones properly and finish my fuel line swap and I'll take the 1100 to Montana and Canada.

You're right Denver, "up is less", pressure, temperature, oxygen and so on. I'll try the leaning with the mixture screws.

Now to study up on the "how to" on timing belt changes...glad I put wifi into my shop!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=147359#p147359:375rf936 said:
dkl » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:16 am[/url]":375rf936]
I have a 81 single carb set-up it runs great, I have a 82 with stock carbs it runs great,,,,,that should clear things up for ya !!!!!! I have a really good, simple, and cheap single carb set-up, but I have no intention of changing the stock carbs on my wife's bike unless I have to.............My comment about RPM and Speed, these engines were made to operate at higher RPMs, that throttle rotates for a reason, Twist it with Gusto.

A single carb mod can be very rewarding and is certainly more tunable. Really it all depends on what u enjoy. I like the stock rack, while others enjoy making thier own rig. There is none better than the other. It's just what You want. If u do what u want it won't be wrong and there are plenty of folks here to help u with whatever path u choose.

Main jets are not pressed in, their threaded, if memory serves. :headscratch: They give you more gas at full open. But your smaller jets may be your fuel issues, 8oz A T F in each tank full of high test gas, will clean them if not plugged completely. Used a product called Startron with the A T F in mine, did a nice job opening up the idle jets, had to slow idle down several times over the course of a few (3-5) hundred miles. They run well now, maybe yours will straighten out as well, good luck. :salute:

Thanks Bronko! You guys are great...maybe I can learn something along the way that I can share with you folks!!

I'm running 8oz of Seafoam in the first tank of non-alky 91 and bought a gallon of ATF to continue the process in the future. The Seafoam has worked wonders in my outboards and I suspect it will do so on the 1100 too.

If I can get the belts changed I'll take the 1100 on my trip to Saskatchawan, CA. That's the next to last province in Canada...only Nunavut left to go. I've hit all the US and a lot of Mexico, but probably won't make the rest of it unless the banditos are more under control...not a good place to go anymore.

I'm going to give the stock carb setup a chance but I do like to make things so it might become a Winter project...looks like the single setup doesn't make any changes that can't be reversed...we'll see.

As long as any real modifications to any stock parts are first tried on cheaply acquired pieces of parted out bikes, couldn't agree more. :music: One can always retreat, as long as you left the bridge intact, :smilie_happy: sometimes the parts acquired, are in better shape than yours, a real plus. :good:

That's a good point Denver! I have made things in the past that didn't allow "retreat" so that's worth remembering.

I'm looking at lots of comments on belt change and some say you can't really do it without removing the radiator, others say it can be done. I'd rather not make more work, but if it is significantly easier, I'm up for moving the radiator...if I had new hoses I'd feel better about it.

There's a list of parts that inter change, one hose from the auto parts store makes both top & bottom radiator hoses. found out about that several years ago, took hoses to store & they handed me a hose to make both in about 25 seconds.

Thanks, I'll try that...I'm all for "workarounds" and I've been known to do some "barn yard" engineering and fortunately, my offspring have learned to make do with what they have and to deal with problems themselves, unlike most of their friends, but their friends learn along the way too.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=147449#p147449:rul2nkvi said:
Denver » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:23 am[/url]":rul2nkvi]
Main jets are not pressed in, their threaded, if memory serves. :headscratch: They give you more gas at full open. But your smaller jets may be your fuel issues, 8oz A T F in each tank full of high test gas, will clean them if not plugged completely. Used a product called Startron with the A T F in mine, did a nice job opening up the idle jets, had to slow idle down several times over the course of a few (3-5) hundred miles. They run well now, maybe yours will straighten out as well, good luck. :salute:
You are correct for 75-79 carbs and 82- ?? carbs. 80 and 81 have pressed in jets.

W C Fields was known to refer to BOONDOGELING in a movie or two. Barnyard engineering is much the same animal

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=147494#p147494:2y3wvexo said:
Denver » Today, 2:57 pm[/url]":2y3wvexo]
W C Fields was known to refer to BOONDOGELING in a movie or two. Barnyard engineering is much the same animal

Yes Sir...and probably just a much thought goes into it.

There really is such a word, looked it up years ago, not sure of spelling but computer didn't show spelling as wrong, so spelling may be correct, anyway lots of it goes on here. Making something useful out of others cast offs, maybe with a completely different purpose than originally intended. Is the gist of the word if memory serves.

If I was planning a long trip on an Old new to me Bike,,,,I would pull the radiator to change the Belts. Not because I had to, I would want to see how every thing fits, and how to get to everything, and also to see how many little wore out parts would show their Ugly Heads.......just say'n,,, that is what makes riding a vintage Fun.
p.s. Me and the wife just pulled in from a 400 mile camp'n trip on our 81 & 82 Old Wings.....ran perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_20150425_144304750_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150425_144304750_HDR.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 97
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=147459#p147459:311x9tmj said:
Lowrider » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:43 am[/url]":311x9tmj]
That's a good point Denver! I have made things in the past that didn't allow "retreat" so that's worth remembering.

I'm looking at lots of comments on belt change and some say you can't really do it without removing the radiator, others say it can be done. I'd rather not make more work, but if it is significantly easier, I'm up for moving the radiator...if I had new hoses I'd feel better about it.

Can the timing belts be changes with the radiator on? Yes, however i would not recommend it, especially if ur a first timer. I've done it several times and I would not want to do it with the radiator in my way.

Is the radiator difficult to pull off? No, simply drain the coolant from the bolt in the block, loosen the radiator and the hose clamps, and yank it off of there. When reinstalling the radiator, smear some silicon grease in the hoses and thier mating surfaces and it will all slide together real easy.

I remove the bottom boots of the radiator, then loosen the top nuts and wedge it out a couple inches to gain knuckle room. I have run my timing belts with just the outside bolts for years.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=147514#p147514:2e3xlgnj said:
dkl » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:41 am[/url]":2e3xlgnj]
If I was planning a long trip on an Old new to me Bike,,,,I would pull the radiator to change the Belts. Not because I had to, I would want to see how every thing fits, and how to get to everything, and also to see how many little wore out parts would show their Ugly Heads.......just say'n,,, that is what makes riding a vintage Fun.
p.s. Me and the wife just pulled in from a 400 mile camp'n trip on our 81 & 82 Old Wings.....ran perfect.
file.php
:good: :moped:

Well, got the old girl out today for a 60 mile run and she did just fine for the most part. I did notice some surging at 4K rpm while running down the road and a little bit of stumbling off-idle when starting out in 1st gear to the point of it stalled once and I damn near dropped the bike as a result.

Also, the brakes did not seem provide better than just "OK" braking. It may be the brake pads since they are original I believe. Discs are fine. Should I be getting wheel lock-up performance from them?

I also noticed a little "head shake" at 35 mph when I let go of the handle bars. Normal?

I must say she rides nice and comfortably and handles well for a heavier bike. It does well on slow curves below 40 mph and of course, does just fine on the highway at any reasonable speed. She's the best investment I've made lately!!

Latest posts