Engine lock-up

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167573#p167573:1bbnhujl said:
dan filipi » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:55 am[/url]":1bbnhujl]
#1 plug looks to me to be the only plug that's burning close to the way it should be.
The others look way rich.
Have you done a compression check? What are the numbers?

+1

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=167573#p167573:3siizt21 said:
dan filipi » Today, 1:55 pm[/url]":3siizt21]
#1 plug looks to me to be the only plug that's burning close to the way it should be.
Unplugging the #1 plug wire has no affect on the engine at idle. It's definitely not burning the way it should be. Also the puffs coming out of the right side pipe at idle are at half the rate of those coming out of the left side. I've tried removing the plug, placing it in the wire, and laying it across the block to check for spark (at night) and it's just barely visible. It's firing, but not enough to actually ignite they cylinder at idle. Unplugging it at driving speed does cause a decrease in power, but not nearly as much as unplugging any of the other three. The mixture is not what it should be for a normally operating engine, but with the ignition the way it is, adjusting it either up or down from where it currently is leads to popping when trying to accelerate uphill.

I don't have a compression tester, but when I was manually turning the engine via the back tire in 5th gear the other day (after I got it freed up) the amount of force needed for each pull was consistent, none of the compressions were particularly easy to do. I know that's not really a proper test, but a tester will have to wait until my income tax money is deposited.

you can switch the wires from the other side of the motor ..and see it fires better on that wire ...as its sparks at the same time on oldwings ....front cylinders fire the same ans then the back cylinders fire the same ...in the oldwings waisted spark system ...i gerneral the ignition system is not very good on oldwings

That number 1 plug looks lean to me so I am assuming that you have a lack of fuel more than lack of spark :yes:

#1 look's too lean, others look too rich, :headscratch: carburetor's could be your issue. :roll: