final Drive pin??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad58

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my 76 wing has an issue with the shaft. I haven't torn anything apart yet. But a quick question as I'm sure some of you can awnser. Is there a U joint or some sort of sheer pin in the shaft. My transmission shifts fine still but the shaft isn't spinning.

yes U joint. No shear pin. Splines. And yes the splines do wear/rust away if not lubed. Is it making any noise?

It's probably time for your to become intimate with your driveshaft and rear end.

If you have a grinding noise at the rear of the engine, the splines in the U-joint may be bad. Slide the boot back at the engine output shaft and see if the U-Joint is turning when you're in gear. If the U-joint is turning, the front splines on the U-Joint are good.

If the U-joint turns and the driveshaft doesn't, the splines in the rear of the U-joint are bad.

If the noise is in the rear wheel hub, the pinion gear is a good suspect.

if the snap ring comes off the shaft that holds the sleeve on it can seterate far enough to come apart ..when it dose ...it will just spin ...ive had that happen to me before .....just have to take rear wheel and final drive off and check things out it all right there

Slab ghost it is making lika a slapping grinding noise... thanks guys, I diddnt think it was too serious, I had just put a brand new clutch cable on it a few hours before. That snapped last week. Go figure other than the electrical issue since I got that 400.00 79' I've had no problems with it. The 76 had been one after another. The 79' looks like it's been beaten it's whole life and the 76' looks like it's been waxed it's whole life.