Finally Riding

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93267#p93267:p7re7596 said:
joedrum » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:15 am[/url]":p7re7596]
im wish I was with them
:good: me too.

Well it has all come to an end. We are now back in LA. Sorry that I didn't post more but due to a cracking pace, lack of sleep and some issues with Internet or the charging of devices. Just a quick rundown we left LA late Wed 14th Aug 2013 and made LAs Vegas. Thursday saw us through Zion, Page Az, the 4 corners and up to Cortez Co. Friday was Durango and up the million dollar hwy stopping in Ouray, Montrose, Salida, and up to Fort Collins via Denver(no Estes Park :doh: ) Accommodation was booked out at Loveland due to weddings and a car show, we should of headed up to Cheyenne and stayed there to get a jump start on Saturdays run. Super heavy fog into Kimball and up to Scottsbluff for breakfast at Maccas. We then did the run up into SD and Custer State Park where we rode the Iron Mtn road and the pigtails and saw Mt Rushmore from the distance. Then it was out past Rapid City and up the 90 to Sturgis ( I was travelling with a Harley rider) where as I had stated to my brother Kim " there are no Pizza Hut dine-in restaurants left that I know of in Oz" we ate the best pizza at the Sturgis Pizza Hut. Brittany gave great service and a wonderful suggestion of the required cold ales. Upon her suggestion we then went to Deadwood were we hoped to stay, unfortunately as it was Sat and wedding season there was no accomadation there or at nearby Lead. A wrong turn led us away from Custer and down to Newcastle Wy where we had the best twilight ride on the excellent 85 out of the Black Hills. The Sage Motel came to the rescue with an old style establishment of great value with all the boxes ticked. Sunday saw the Iron Butt run even though Kim said Wendover was too far at approx 800 miles he continued on to Reno and showed 1160 miles on his odometer. Due to a mixup in Wendover I ended up staying in Winnemucca which was only 940 miles and wasn't aware that Kim was continuing to Reno. Monday had me in Reno for a 10am breakfast at Denny's with Kim then off to Truckee down past the lake and to Lee Vinning for the last fuel up before Yosemite. Up Tioga Rd to the top down Wawona Rd to Oakhurst where the Days Inn was too rich for our blood. So instead Steak and Beer in Oakhurst it was Carl's Jnr and off to Madera in the storm that had been threatening the whole time. Rain and a pretty good lightening show that saw our pre booked hotel ( from Oakhurst) without power. We were then lucky enough to end up at the SpringHill Suites which had power, the best beds, large room , an awesome breakfast buffet and excellent staff at a reasonable rate. Last day Tuesday. Awesome run down the PCH chasing a local on a sports bike that saw me scrape the right peg. We stopped at Cambria at Sandy's for food and coffee where we had stopped 2years prior on our ride up the coast. Last fuel stop at Carpenteria where Kim and I separated as he was heading home and I was stopping past Dan's and then on to have dinner with Steve then a motel in Pasadena so that I could go back to Steves on Wed to service the Rats Nest and tidy up any issues that I haven't noticed. It will take me awhile to publish a full recap with photos and videos but I definitely will.
The Rats Nest performed beyond all expectations thanks to all the hard work by Steve :thanks:

whew, now that was a trip, If you think about it can you report on the Shinko's tread depth after the trip and miles you covered on your journey, I'm anxious to see how they performed for you. This will give us some good info on these tires.

That is one long ride, I`m glad it went well for ya. I know what you`re saying about the road..It gets hard to think of anything else but the next stop then time to rest then hit the road again.
What`s on the agenda now besides a rest?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93557#p93557:nxqrxyxf said:
zman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:12 am[/url]":nxqrxyxf]
That is one long ride, I`m glad it went well for ya. I know what you`re saying about the road..It gets hard to think of anything else but the next stop then time to rest then hit the road again.
What`s on the agenda now besides a rest?
I need to catch up on some work issues then plan our trip for when my wife and daughter arrive on Sunday. Have to follow up on the CBX carbs that are being refurbished by Mike Nixon. Need to make contact with the importer for getting the Rats Nest back to Oz if it is viable. Then there are the photos and videos from this ride that need to be sorted and posted.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93551#p93551:7rifm9bt said:
backlander » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:41 pm[/url]":7rifm9bt]
whew, now that was a trip, If you think about it can you report on the Shinko's tread depth after the trip and miles you covered on your journey, I'm anxious to see how they performed for you. This will give us some good info on these tires.
I will do that as soon as I can Mike. As I went without fixing the speedo cable I can't report on that directly so we will have to approximate from mapping and Kim's info from the Road King. Whatever image I post will be lower than actually travelled because I was always taking the long route (lost?) As I told Dan they are an excellent tire for the price and performed as well and better than you had recommended. They are pretty worn out from the Interstate running with a flat centre from not going around enough corners. I was hard in every aspect on them, weight, acceleration, braking, temperature and hard, hard cornering when available..I can now appreciate Darksiding more if you only travelled interstates and didn't require the performance in handling before your motorcycle tire ends up with a big flat strip down the centre from those interstates.

:shock: Daaaaaamb!!! I'm tarred just READING about the trip!! :heat:
Sure glad ya'll were able to do the deal without any major malfunctions, that's fer sher. Looking forward to the pics! :beg: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thanks:

Great Tony, with the info from your trip in regards to touring and mine from local to regional riding, along with reports from the other members who run them, I think we will have a pretty good unbiased performance test on these tires. I'm opening a new thread on the Shinko 230 Tourmaster to keep our info consolidated.

Yeah, Tony is BADASS! You couldn't meet a nicer guy, Kim too. Sounds like a cruise for the record books. Looking forward to all the pics and video, including the accidental footage of you two trying to get that screw in the fairing :head bang: :smilie_happy: Tony's fingers are like sausages!

Hats off to Steve for helping to make it happen! :rocks:

~O~

:popcorn: :popcorn: :shock: :shock: :clapping: :clapping: :moped: :moped: :crying: :crying:
thanks for the update now i'm missing miss daisy.. but nothing i can do at the moment.. glade all went well. hope you many more.

Latest posts