Getting the most out of your interwebz connection?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84814#p84814:2h7w3iqd said:
zman » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:42 pm[/url]":2h7w3iqd]So Omega Man, are you saying I can replace this little 8 year old motorola box on my floor with a better modem, I didn't know I could.
I did the test and had about the same reading your old modem had, My tool bar always says 100.0 Mbps, have my internet through verizon, supposed to be the highest speed but it sure seems slow.
Wonder if verizon will send me a new free better modem?
DSCF2239_zps635cae66.jpg

Get a new modem and I bet your speed will increase, that thing looks ancient. Oh and buy your own, ISPs will send you whatever is lying around(free? :smilie_happy: ). Just make sure it's DOCSIS 3.0. Even if it doesn't up your speed that thing is so old could fail at any time. You'll have to call Verizon and have them activate the modem at their end.

~O~

I've done a fair amount of networking for customers as well as wasted a lot of money trying stuff at home.

Cat 5 E is all you need. Even Cat 5 is good enough.
The reason is, the hardware won't take advantage of Cat 6 speed (yet).

There's 10/100 and 1000 transfer speeds.
Cat 5 is rated at faster than 1000 so no need for faster cable.

zman, your tool bar showing 100 is most likely because that's all your computer's network interface card (NIC) is capable of. If you want that to say 1000 and get all the speed you can, you'll need a NIC capable of 1000 speed.

Also be aware that some ISP's support only certain modems.
Most of the big name ISP's like ATT, COX etc. will have a list of supported modems on the web site or you should call them and ask.

10/100/1000 NIC cards are dirt cheap like under $10 and just slip into an open peripheral card slot(usually brown in color) on your motherboard. Check first that you have an open slot before buying a new NIC card as some PC's don't have an available slot.

~O~

Omega Man":3srsofm2 said:
...Oh and buy your own, ISPs will send you whatever is lying around(free? :smilie_happy: )...
To that statement, I have to say it depends.

5 years ago my cable provider would allow you to use your own compatible modem, but there was no difference in price. Just recently they started charging $3.50/mo for modem rental, so you can save that $3.50 by using your own modem.

When I upgraded from 10 to 30, they installed a Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 docsis3 modem/ wireless gigabit router (~$135.00 to buy one https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Motorola-SU ... %26ps%3D54 ) At $3.50/mo, that would take 38 months to break even. If theirs EVER fails, they will come out and replace it free, or if I can't wait, I can go to the service center and swap it out for another one, again free. If you own it and it fails, it's your problem.

If you have a particular modem you want to use, or find a deal on one, your provider charges more on rental, you have to pay for service calls, etc., owning your own modem may work out for you. I don't trust electronics enough to gamble that it will have no problems for almost 4 years before I start seeing a return on my modem purchase.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84851#p84851:7dw9ylau said:
Omega Man » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:49 pm[/url]":7dw9ylau]Who is your ISP?

~O~
Bright House Networks using RoadRunner. Wish I could get (and could afford) Verizon FIOS. Talk about available speeds!

Attachments

• fiosprice20130612.png
    fiosprice20130612.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 195
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84853#p84853:3rvic96c said:
roncar » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:56 pm[/url]":3rvic96c]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84851#p84851:3rvic96c said:
Omega Man » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:49 pm[/url]":3rvic96c]Who is your ISP?

~O~
Bright House Networks using RoadRunner. Wish I could get (and could afford) Verizon FIOS. Talk about available speeds!

o_O still your provider offers some fast speeds!

~O~

For what I do, what I have is more than I need. Within the last month, BHN started offering residential 90 down and 10 up. I really don't understand why they cap the up speed so low, not that I really need it to be faster.

FIOS 300 down and 65 up would give me bragging rights. :Egyptian: But alas Fios is not available and I couldn't afford that package if it was. :oops: Kind of a moot point as I couldn't justify over $200/mo for internet even if I could afford it.

I've been told by the field guys upload is capped to deter running web servers on a residential line.
My isp will sell me a business line that they will allow server on, the monthly is twice the cost for 1/2 the speed.
Time warner has the cables in my area under monopoly.
No FIOS and they tell me no plans to bring fiber to our area :crying:

The way I figure it, we will get better internet speed and better cell phone service when Jack Rabbits and rattle snakes start surfing the web and making phone calls.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

............... out of my element here, can talk the talk but can't really walk the walk, but these download speeds being talked about here, are they residential speeds? Damn, didn't know they got so fast, kinda like my 1100 could go 250mph! My download is lucky to get to 5.7! and upload at .8! Wireless off of line of sight tower, rural Northern Illinois. Anything I can do to goose that? ............Crowe .......... :Egyptian:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87021#p87021:1rhjnyhb said:
AApple » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:42 pm[/url]":1rhjnyhb]:laptop:
:laptop: :good: :yahoo:

That sure beats dial-up, gratz Joel!

tonights test...
2803971869.png

I just did my phone on my wifi connection here at home using their phone app and got 12.37Mbps down, 16.46Mbpd up. :shock:

~O~