GL 1100A/Sidecar

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wichita Scorpion

Reaction score
1983 GL 1100A with a 1983 California Sidecar. My daughter is in the sidecar.

Attachments

• 11-28-07 7x6.jpg
    11-28-07 7x6.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 414
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Nice lookin daughter.. Uh i mean rig you got there... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I guess women feel alot safer in a sidecar instead on the back, They think its too easy to fall off

Same vintage, same paint, best looking hack set-up I've seen in a long time...
Maybe I need to "rethink" parting out that Old Battleaxe donor bike :roll:

I also like the tire and rim combo.. Looks pretty huge, Rim looks really nice
Its about the same size as a golf cart tire right? or is it a little bigger?

Do you have a brake set up on the side car?

BigAndrew":1eamcji9 said:
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Nice lookin daughter.. Uh i mean rig you got there... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I guess women feel alot safer in a sidecar instead on the back, They think its too easy to fall off
Thanks, I agree with your comments about my daughter and the rig. Also have the convertible top with zip in side windows.
My wife and I both rather be on the 1989 GL 1500, two wheels, than the sidecar rig. We have a Corbin Seat on the GL 1500 and my wife used to take naps on long trips. After I passed age 65 (age 72 now), along with wife's back/leg problems, three wheels are safer for us.
I did remove the sidecar the last of August and rode the 1983 6,482 miles over all the western states. I followed my son riding the 1989 GL 1500, pulling a pop up camper. We enjoyed a great 23 day trip visiting friends, family, and several National Parks.

BigAndrew":2s6qyh3r said:
I also like the tire and rim combo.. Looks pretty huge, Rim looks really nice
Its about the same size as a golf cart tire right? or is it a little bigger?

Do you have a brake set up on the side car?
Bigger than Golf Cart tire; 155/13R tire, thus 13 inch wheel. No brakes on the sidecar.
A sidecar without brakes can be a problem in panic stop but with practice I can handle it.

I run the exact same rig in the 1982 version, with silver/grey colour scheme. It is a lovely set-up, and a joy to ride. Finding replacement tires for the hack is a problem here in Euorpe, but they are availible if one looks hard enough.

Great bike!...enjoy the ride!

NSXLR8":2mz37dpd said:
I run the exact same rig in the 1982 version, with silver/grey colour scheme. It is a lovely set-up, and a joy to ride. Finding replacement tires for the hack is a problem here in Euorpe, but they are availible if one looks hard enough.

Great bike!...enjoy the ride!

John, welcome to the site from New Jersey! I am overseeing construction of two high speed aluminum catamaran ferries that are being built to DNV rules!

13 inch rim wow thats a pretty good size, I think i would be too scared to ride one of those without a brake for the side car, But then again you dont have to worry about laying the bike down if you lock up the front tire in the rain

Hey mcgovern61...actually, I was quite active here throughout last summer, but when the forum crashed, my account was lost, so it looks like I just arrived?!? Oh well, life goes on.

Hope things go well with your boats. I work in the onshore oil and gas business area, but do have contact with the offshore class, and marine groups, as I also work with corrosion and special material selection in offshore and ship building from time to time. We pretty much rule that business globally. :)

Was out sailing recreationally on a little single hull once in the gulf of mexico, with a mate of mine, went down below to check the engine coolant as we taxied out of a small harbour, only to find one of our DNV cert plaquets on the inside of the engine bay. If there is a cookie jar out there, we got our finger in it!