Gl 1200 Adventure bike, with sidecar

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can find a good new "rolling sidecar frame" minus what they cal the chair or tub for around 1700.00. I priced mounts anywhere from 300.-700. dollars depending on what style you choose. This sidecar was run on a naked GL1000 so after looking at the bare frames of the 1000 and the 1200 I decided it was close enough that modifications could be made if needed. I bought this sidecar for 100.00 plus travel expenses of 75.00 and will buy a new 12 in. tire and wheel for 60. so that will put me having 235.00 before I build the tub I want. Should have less than 500-600 dollars in the set up when finished. Plus I made three new Cajun friends in south Louisiana that extended an open door policy to me anytime I'm in the area and told me all the great local places for down home south Louisiana food and seafood. Yummy !!!

:hihihi: It can be done. :doh: :hihihi:
Sidecar boat.jpg

Had to take a couple days off the sidecar build, one of the threaded bike mounts was froze up but came loose after a days soak with PB Blaster and a little persuasion. So I spent those two days putting front pads on the ol 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel pick up. Here's some info on the mount kit like I'm using, in case your thinking side car and happen to find some used ones, this is what this universal kit cost new . https://www.cyclesidecar.com/accessories ... html#mount

Got back to work on the mounts, ended up removing the lower rear mount and removing about 1/16 in from each side of the frame clamp to make the fitment easier. Attached the front link and took measurements and the present location of the mounts will give me at least an 8 in and possible a 9 in sidecar wheel lead.

WP_20150715_001.jpg

WP_20150715_004.jpg

Didn't get much done today, felt bad, inspected and packed the wheel bearings and did some clean up, lubricated all the link tube attachments and adjustment turn clevis's. Won't be long before I mount it to the bike then the alignment work begins. This 105 to 110 heat index is brutal right now, pretty much limits work to be done in the AM part of the day.

Question for the masses here. I am looking for a cast 15 inch front rim that I can adapt to a GL1200 . I know that none of the Gl's used a 15 in front rim, at least 77 forward didn't but I also know that I don't know everything. Any ideas anyone ?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155233#p155233:1x1py0mg said:
backlander » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:11 am[/url]":1x1py0mg]
Question for the masses here. I am looking for a cast 15 inch front rim that I can adapt to a GL1200 . I know that none of the Gl's used a 15 in front rim, at least 77 forward didn't but I also know that I don't know everything. Any ideas anyone ?
Mike is this for off-road/adventur? If so larger diameter is more beneficial for off road. I would try to gear around 16" if it is not for off-road as rim and tire choices are greatly improved.

Present goal, front, rear, and sidecar wheel all same size, all tires same size and all tires are car tires and all goes on GL 1200. This allows toting of only one spare tire that would fit any position.

Latest posts