GL1100 backrest

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auctioneeral

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you guy's think of the Markland backrest for a GL1100.
I have a fellow who will sell me this backrest for $60 including shipping.
What do you think. Do you all think it fits the GL1100.

Attachments

• backrest.jpg
    backrest.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 485
Had one on one my 81's, was good for the back, :yes: but like Dan said, the mounting was not as good as going through the seat. :nea:

brianinpa
The one in your post.
Who makes that one.
I have read different posts about the mount being in the way with your legs.
But the only other one I see for the GL1100 is made by Add-On. But I have readed the Add-on one you can't remove side cover.

i like the one i have ..its for rider or passenger...getting on and off bike is somewhat harder..... but thats ok with me ....you can really strap down some stuff to the luggage rack with this there in the rider position ....

file.php

I have the same backrest on my 1100. Yeah, it's a wee bit wide at the mount, and can get in the way of the legs, but on mine, after a couple weeks of riding with it, I don't even notice it anymore. The only noticeable problem for me is when backing up, it does make you take a wider stance with your legs. :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166283#p166283:f913dg83 said:
auctioneeral » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:15 pm[/url]":f913dg83]
Are the Add-On backrest any better.
file.php
I never had one but I have seen them mounted and look to me to be the most comfortable of the three types, I seen them sell cheap many times when they appear on ebay without the mounting bars, the bars are the hardest part to find by themselves so when a backrest comes along without the bars you can get them for 15 to 50 dollars. I did see a set of the bars alone just a few days ago on ebay for 20 or 25 free ship...usually with the bars they bring 75 125.
Found them, a little off on the price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-HONDA-GOLD ... XF&vxp=mtr

My backrest came from Saddleman. It was already in the seat, but yes it was a kit. I purchased that rest as a replacement for $75 from Saddleman.

I looked at one about like that right after i traded for my 86 SE-I , but they wanted more for it than i could afford , so...... I built every piece of the Backrest on mine myself , to fit me , it was a little bit of work , but when something is custom made to fit you , it sure feels good. :laptop:

I hated mine until I fixed it.......1" fuel hose, slit and fitted over the mounting bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_20150815_111302.jpg
    IMG_20150815_111302.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_20150815_111337.jpg
    IMG_20150815_111337.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 299
Love the way my early day's adapting lessons & making things work on my bikes, & car's, show's up again & again, makes me smile. :hihihi:

Not to hijack the thread, because I too want a back rest and will most likely get one of the Marklands and do what bib did to his. But has anyone tried to put some passenger armrests on the truck of an 1100? I know you can buy those that mount to the frame, but I bet there is a way. Maybe even some speakers like the 1500s.