GL1200 overheating

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well folks, I got it all together with the pressure sealed head and it looks very promising!

Temp in stop and go traffic slowly climbs up to mid gauge and even takes quite awhile to climb up to 3/4 when the fan comes on. On the freeway it runs at the bottom of the heavy bar! Awesome!
I took a slow steep canyon ride and it never even got to the middle.

We have to test it in warmer temps, it was about 60 degrees, but judging by how long it takes to warm up then the fan comes on and how long the fan runs and cycles compared to mine I think we got it!

Let's hope that pressure seal process is as good as the shop says it is and it lasts.

Great job. Most impressive.

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with the 1200's radiator? I thought it was decided to be the root cause of the overheating and the cracked head was a result of it overheating.

Take care,

Dennis

Never figured out anything wrong with the original radiator, I'm not sure there is. The only way to tell would be to see if it runs hot with it. Maybe after the ride on the 20th I'll try swapping it back in for comparison.
For now I want to enjoy watching that temp gauge down at the lower scale for a change.

dan filipi":2t8vhlm3 said:
Never figured out anything wrong with the original radiator, I'm not sure there is. The only way to tell would be to see if it runs hot with it. Maybe after the ride on the 20th I'll try swapping it back in for comparison.
For now I want to enjoy watching that temp gauge down at the lower scale for a change.

After that great welding job and modication? I would leave well enough alone! :mrgreen:

:yahoo: :clapping: :good:
Egg-sell-lent!!! After all the trouble to install the 1100 rad, I'd leave it on there...skwert some color on it, and GO!
The real test will be this summer, of course. Ya may have to leave the A/C off if the engine starts running hot again! :smilie_happy:

Glad ya made some good progress, anyway. Sounds like the problem is FIXED, as long as the head repair holds up. :eek:k:

dan filipi":1esh4bk8 said:

This is kind of like, "She loves me, she loves me not", do I or don't I. It would be great peace of mind hooking up the old radiator and seeing the temp rise and confirming once and for all that was one of the main problems. But then again, if it is running and running cool, then it is fair to say that you have fixed the main problems and your work was worth it! Either way, you cannot go wrong now that it is working right.

Now that my '81 engine is out, I face a similar choice; open it up and finally find the source of the noise, or sell a running engine that someone else might want to tinker with and could use.

gerry it almost seems to me that there is some kind of lack of oiling going on in that motor like bad oil picup or scavenger hole cloged or somthing on that line. now that you got it out if it was me id rig up some kind parts cleaner recirclelator tub that you could put the whole motor in run it though about every hole in mortor different possitions over and over till i was thoroughly convinced that theres no way that there could be any chance that sluge grime sand or what ever could still be in there no way. one time i did this on a apparrently trasded diesil motor and you would not beleve what came out of it . you just got to do it long enough to get everything out which is easy it dose all the work

I think Gerry should tear it open, I'd be too curious not to!

I'm soooo jazzed how cool this 1200 is running now I go out and run it just to watch.
I flushed the system with a hose and added 50/50 and watched the temp rise up to 3/4, took a long time to get there in mid 60's here. The fan ran for 45 seconds which brought the temp below 1/2 then took almost 2 minutes for it to get back up for the fan to come on again.
I'm happy!
Thanks for all the help and staying with me guys, your all awesome!

I think you are awesome as well, for sticking with it.... can plan some trips with out the tea kettle perking.... ;-}
Larry will be happy to hear it as well,,,, Will also tell all the mechanics that I bugged for answers.
Thankyou,
susie

On overheating issues, this maybe something to think about. An old mechanic I knew back in NY told me that radiators get "desensitized" after many years or many miles. This means that the action of transferring the heat from the water/antifreeze to the metal in the radiator gets worse or even non-existent after all those miles or years. Rodding out a radiator is fine if it gets clogged but sometimes they do need to be replaced. I bet a new radiator would solve many of these issues. Good Luck! Joe (Page,AZ)

joecool":3qy5h72v said:
On overheating issues, this maybe something to think about. An old mechanic I knew back in NY told me that radiators get "desensitized" after many years or many miles. This means that the action of transferring the heat from the water/antifreeze to the metal in the radiator gets worse or even non-existent after all those miles or years. Rodding out a radiator is fine if it gets clogged but sometimes they do need to be replaced. I bet a new radiator would solve many of these issues. Good Luck! Joe (Page,AZ)

Thank you for another avenue to explore.... as it turned out there was a hole in the head that opened up under heat... the shop where the head was machined tested it and couldn't make it leak... but heat sealed it anyway.
It does not over heat any more... just gets up to 3/4 on the gauge and cools down.. even in the parking lot traffic on the freeway. Now to take it to Phoenix and Mesa, AZ for a test by fire..... it red-lined on both trips to NM.

susie if i were you id get rid of your thermostat....iknow my opions are a little out of the mainstream of thought but i would not put my bikes health in something that restricts flow when it getting hot ....noway ....iwould at least try it and see what happens ........

mcgovern61":22yy2rac said:
sidecarsusie":22yy2rac said:
Now to take it to Phoenix and Mesa, AZ for a test by fire..... it red-lined on both trips to NM.
Susie, are you saying that it has redlined since the repair?

No, it hasn't red lined since the repair... Phoenix and Mesa, AZ would be my way of a final test.
Since it didn't overheat in stop and go freeway traffic here (CA), it should be good there. It is an excuse for taking another trip east....

joedrum":3atlsta0 said:
susie if i were you id get rid of your thermostat....iknow my opions are a little out of the mainstream of thought but i would not put my bikes health in something that restricts flow when it getting hot ....noway ....iwould at least try it and see what happens ........
Somewhere in my world of mechanics, I was told it would be good for a test, but not for a fix.
If I wanted any thing fixed on my car or motorcycle, my dad would make me work with him, and I guess that is where my memory is kicking in.

Latest posts