Gl1200 swing arm into a 1000 frame

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekvh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for enlightenment on this mod. So far Joe is the only one I've found who's done it. Anyone else try it yet? Just looking for all the info ahead of time I can get. I have a 1200 swing arm on the way and will pick up an entire 1500 rear end final drive, swingarm, wheel, brakes everything on Saturday.

It sounds like from Joe's description, use the 1000 pivot bolts and grind enough off the inside of the frame to accommodate the 1200 swingarm. I will be using my mono-shock so absorbers aren't an issue.

I'm a hack, but I'll try and take picks when I get to it.

Thanks in advance for any opinions on this one.

yep I believe your right ....when it comes to 1000 framed bike any swing arm switch is difficult Eric....two things going on. Pivot pin mod....and the. Motor is one inch closer to pivot placement for swing arm. And the 1000 haspivot sleeves that fit the frame.....rather tough mod....but im sure you can do it

ok eric seen thread at ngw ....frame on 1000 is not threaded like 1100s are ...they use t like locking sleeve thats threaded ...this arrangement is what makes 1000 space a bit narrower than 1100s and 1200s threaded frames ...also makes pivot pins narrower in overall size ...but pin part that in swingarm is bigger ...this needs to be turned down to 1100 and 1200 size .....so theres is some milling of sleeve and swing both to get a good fit and also good structure overall .....but nothing is really to hard to do just cant go to much milling on any one thing in my opinion .....once pin is milled to fit swing arm it just has to be custom fitted to go in .....

with the 1500 final and wheel it should be some nice tall gearing ...i enjoy 80mph at a bit less than 4000 rpm with the car tire and 1200 final on hooch ..you will probably be a bit taller gearing than me with 1500 set up ...im sure you will love it i do ...with the hooched out motor you have there will be no problem with power for the gearing at all...hooch will still torch tire and bring the front wheel off the ground with ease ....

this was for sure the best mod a made to the hooch bike ...after it was going good i tried all the finals ....i also like the increased wheel base of the bike with the extra length it gave the bike .....

Just stopped at a machine shop----$100. Not going to happen. I'll try chucking it up against an abrasive wheel that's flat, then sandpaper to get it to fit. Ideas?

Chucked in a drill press and turned slowly while filing will get it down to size but is very time consuming. That is probably how I would do it as I don't have the delicate controlled touch to use a grinder in this fashion. I have tried.

I'm thinking I can chuck an Allen stub into the drill and then the pivot pin. Gonna have to get creative to tie the other end down so it doesn't wobble. Filing would be safest, but I was thinking the steel may be s bit hard in the pivot pin. Maybe not.

I've had success in filing hardened steel saw blades. Seems to me a quality file should work. However I haven't tried to modify those pins.

Eric, that's what I meant by interesting. I was thinking along the same lines, but the wobble is what I was having a hard time with. Maybe something along these lines:

hqdefault.jpg

Just chuck up the pivot bolt, lay a file on it and let the drill do the work. It may require drilling a small center point in the stub end to hold it in place.

Have given a lot of thought over the years to the idea of a metal lathe from H F. :headscratch: Just not enough reasons yet :nea:

It isn't that much to take off the pins. Patience and sandpaper would do it, I think. Depends how hard the steel is. I'll find out tomorrow. Been helping a friend with his 77 today. I think he has a vacuum leak at carb-to-plenum. Not what he wanted to hear. Also had a very stuck slide and some mismatched emulsion tubes.

Tried the sandpaper tonight. Shines it up real nice. Should be done in a week and a half. I'll have to make some sort of jig to support it to use the file. I do have a cousin 100 miles away who has a lathe. Hmmmm.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171905#p171905:3ruqf3zs said:
ekvh » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:50 pm[/url]":3ruqf3zs]
Tried the sandpaper tonight. Shines it up real nice. Should be done in a week and a half. I'll have to make some sort of jig to support it to use the file. I do have a cousin 100 miles away who has a lathe. Hmmmm.
Sounds like a road trip :clapping:

id be using a grinder with quarter inch hard wheel on edge to get close and finish with file and sand paper maybe also and done already ....but i relise my hands are a machine shop

no a angle grinder...if pivot pin is mounted true and spun or free to turn ....and angle grinder on edge of well cantron the pin down ...likeacaveman laith ...hope you understand .....

Possibility :headscratch: he's not yet into some of the off the wall use of everyday tools, used in an unusual way :roll: of getting a job done. :smilie_happy:

Bolt turns but grinder turns stone faster. Yes it can work but that takes a practiced touch. Or a pretty stout jig.

Latest posts