Here she is, I named her, "the Wanderer "

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=174441#p174441:1mk43puu said:
dan filipi » 43 minutes ago[/url]":1mk43puu]
2 Pics of the washer installed the right way.

Notice the bevel side toward the belt...
image.php

image.php
Thanks, those pics help. Geesh , mine looks really beaten up. Po did something !!

Should I put it in gear and hold brake down while breaking crank bolt loose since I don't have an impact wrench?

I'd put it in 3rd gear then having someone hold the brake tight, turn the crank counter clockwise loosening up against the resistance, then give the end of wrench or ratchet a solid rap on the end to break loose the bolt. May take a few tries.

Hmm, I'm out of ideas how to hold it.

I bought an electric impact from Harbor Freight. That was a mistake, they are junk and not much power. Maybe rent an electric impact, or some auto chain may loan them.

It's not a big deal. Pull the radiator and hit that bolt with an impact.
Only the bolt and a washer and the messed up washer come off at that point. The belt pulleys stay on the crankshaft.

Try putting it in 5th gear, and have someone stand on the rear brake. When I did this, I was by myself, so I put a piece of pipe through the rear wheel, above the swingarm, so the wheel couldn't rotate. Make sure the brake hose is out of the way! When tightening the bolt, I did the same, but the pipe was under the swingarm. Turn the engine clockwise as little as possible, as this pulls the belts in the opposite direction. It shouldn't cause any problems, but you don't want the belt to jump a tooth. You'll be just fine!

Showing typical old school way of taking bike's apart & reassembling them. :smilie_happy: Especially British bike's, :Awe: first way that was learned by me before my impact gun from Harbor Freight. :whistling: Their 1/2" Earthquake impact gun is rated @700 lbs & work well, :roll: mine in my tool box since 04, still works great. :good: On sale & with coupon for about $80, regular price is about $100. :yes:

For far too many years I didn't have an impact wrench or a compressor to drive it. Long box end wrench and a big hammer worked for me.

I have a few of those cheap 12v Impact guns that I usually put in the girls cars so that they can get the lug nuts off by themselves. I am amazed at the power as the are a percussion impact where it operates like a hammer striking a box wrench. One job my 3/4 air impact gun could not undo rusted lug nuts but the 12v impact gun did the job to my amazement. :good:

Okay, radiator is off. tried the bar through wheel trick with bike in 5th gear and the crank is still turning with some slight resistance with no luck of loosening bolt.
Will an electric impact wrench work? I will need one anyway to rebuild the tension pulleys.

Impact wrench is a good thing. Even the little hand held hit it with a hammer deal is very helpful. So yes. If it still moves with the wheel locked your clutch may be slipping. Possibly because the cable is too tight.

Latest posts