How long should an Extreme Magna Power ETX18L last?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever noticed how much we complain when our 30+ year old bikes need a battery once every four years or so? :hihihi: (I know I did!)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83858#p83858:22ipfzox said:
AApple » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:08 pm[/url]":22ipfzox]
:sensored: :sensored: :sensored: Son-of-a- :sensored: :crying:
Well...I cain't put it off any longer....it's done for. Won't even crank it when it's cooled off, now. And....no-one in the area HAS the same battery in stock. I can get one from NAPA today, tho, so that's what Imma gunna do. Theirs is an AGM, with more CCA than the Extreme Magnasports, and it's....gulps...$98.99 (+tax). I'll stop by on the way home and get it. Dagummit....I wuz hoping I could skate by a little longer on this one, but it's ain't hap'nin....
Charging system is working....little over 13v at idle, around 14.6 @ 3000rpm, with a max around 15v, according to my min/max feature on my Fluke meter.

Well this SUX....this battery only lasted a year & 4 months. :rant: For the last couple o weeks, I been having trouble starting the bike at times...just turned over slow a couple of times, then "click". I had to use my tiny widdle booster at the gas station this mernin. :crying: Stator is still charging properly at a little over 13v @ idle, and around 14.8 at 3000rpm, no aux lights on. With aux lights on, it still runs well over 13v. Autozone no longer carries the Extreme Magna Power ETX18L that I was using before this NAPA battery, so no go on that. Warranty on the NAPA battery is only 6 months...no help there. Good news is, it's on sale today @ $89.09.
Imma wonderin...I usually crank mine with the ign OFF for 3-4 seconds to build up some erl pressure, then start it up. Reckon that hertz the battery?

When i sold my sportster in july,it had a 5 year old odyssey agm battery and it was still kicking tail

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134787#p134787:2rdby29o said:
Omega Man » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:52 pm[/url]":2rdby29o]
Was it the AGM you were talking about earlier in the thread?

Well..it's ONE of them... :yes: It's the NAPA battery I just got last June. I put the new replacement on, and the starter sure spins a lot faster now. Just sux the durn thing din't last any longer. Oh well...it's only money, eh?
I've had two Magna Powers before...both survived at least 3 years, but no-one around here carries them anymore. I'd hafta order one, which would take too long....I'm an impatient old cuss.... :smilie_happy:

How long "should" it last? As long as the bike! But none ever do. I ordered batteries off ebay and got them a few days later.

Well...here I am again...dud battery. Only got less than 2 years on this one(Nov 3, 14). Had to buy another new one, $96.71. This time, it just took a dump with absolutely no warning. Stopped and got some fuel this mernin right down the street from the shop. Came back out, hit the button, and "cleek"....no crank. Had the feller from the shop run up with the booster box, hooked it up, and the turd fired right up. Checked charging once at the shop, and it's still puttin out properly. Checked cranking voltage, and it was going down to aboot 9v, but not coming back up at all. :roll: Oh well.....that's the 5th battery I've put on this turd since I bought it in '08. Prolly spent enough on these to have bought a couple of Odysseys already. :blush:

:hihihi: Maybe there is a a difference in operating profiles that may lead to these batteries failing prematurely. My bike is kept in a garage and started regularly. But is rarely allowed to "get stuck in traffic". Stop and go with the fan running and the brake lights on is brutal on the battery.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180468#p180468:bix3aphx said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:31 pm[/url]":bix3aphx]
:hihihi: But is rarely allowed to "get stuck in traffic". Stop and go with the fan running and the brake lights on is brutal on the battery.

YA...this is prolly where my issue is. Mine is started everyday, for the most part. These days, I still get stuck in traffic, but it's not for nearly as long as it used to be....10-15 minutes, as opposed to an hour or more at a time. I do have an auxiliary fan switch I use when I start slowing down for traffic, as it does help keep the temps below the 1/2 mark, where it would go almost into the red before the switch, and modifying the grill. I turn the fan off once I get moving. Annnnd...the heat down hear definitely comes into play also. Aboot 3 years on our car/truck batteries is "normal". Oh well....it's only money, eh? :yes:

How long should it last? At least ten years. Batteries are possibly the most disappointing product on the market.

Maybe it is time to look at your RR as it seems like you are overcharging your batteries to have premature failure. Heat and high charging voltage ( more heat) are the enemy to long battery life. :(