I’ve got better things to do…

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
...On my day off than deal with a six pack of carburetors on the Valkyrie.

The real kicker is that the bike is running flawlessly. One of the fuel rail O-rings has been leaking for over a year and has gotten progressively worse to the point that I can’t even ride it now. Used to be it would swell back up and stop leaking in an hour or so. Now it just leaks. It was time.

(The old girl might be trying to tell me something – ride me more!)

Checking the slow Jets while I’m here, floats are hard set. There is no adjustment. It’s molded right into the assembly.

I’m headed out on a camping trip tomorrow, and was hoping to get this done to take the Cadillac… I mean Valkyrie. But I don’t need the pressure and will get as far as I can, and take the Vmax instead! It’s been along time since I’ve played vagabond and loaded up a naked bike for a camping trip! Wish me luck.

A903300E-093C-41B1-BEB8-C267EB26A9C5 _1.jpg

02C4C76A-5AB3-462C-8654-79B9FD2A6F97_2.jpg

C3088DDD-A4BC-4042-B4C3-539EB61E544C_3.jpg

I'm jealous and relieved... I wish I was going camping soon, but it will have to wait another 30 days, and I'm glad you're taking your time with a bank of six...so many parts to handle. Good luck on your trip, and I'm sure you don't need luck on your carbs...which is good.

it sucks to have to extract and strip down a multi-carb rack for the usual plugged-up idle jet... but it's insult-to-injury to have it running healthy, but incontenent... :head bang:

I haven't pulled my Aspy out yet, as I've been too busy working on company and honey-doos, but it'll get spark plugs, idle jet cleaning, and a clutch slave/master job, and perhaps a moonlight darksiding ceremony. Need to yank the cheap stereo and replace it with a dual-band HAM radio, and put a (round) marine stereo (with a BIG USB stick) in it... and a trailer hitch...

The whole lockdown thing is getting downright stupid... pencil-pushers who don't have a clue how viruses 'work'... but morons wind up in 'leadership' positions because they can't actually 'do' things.... I hope, for everyone's sake, that you're not impeded by administrative idiocy for any longer than necessary. Sunshine, fresh air, and spreading out is what we all need... get out, smell the flowers, and leave plenty of stopping-distance in traffic...

Y'all ain't gonna believe this...

So, I had this 2-day camping trip. (Just got back.) Didn't really go as planned... I had originally intended to take the valkyrie, but the carburetors are off of it due to a fuel rail leak that I've been procrastinating on fixing.

So, I said to myself, I will take the Vmax! It performed flawlessly last weekend on a 330 mile Loop into the same territory. But, I had an issue!

Loaded the bike up and headed up to my buddy's house 30 miles away to Rendezvous for the trip. Got off the freeway a mile from his house, smelled gas and see it pouring off the rear right hand carburetor. I pull over, try the tapping and sloshing back and forth to try to free up a potential stuck float - no joy. So I decided to assume risk of no fire in the mile to his house and fired up to head to his place. Bike starts losing power and dies in less than a quarter of a mile.

I called him and he brings his trailer over, we take the Vmax 30 miles back to my house. Switch all the stuff over to my trusty ole 78 gl1000 and I made the trip. Trust me, that bike is not made for longer runs... Or to load with camping gear. That's another story, but I won't go into that. Really had a good time and a quantity of whiskey was consumed, lies were told.

I haven't really looked at the Vmax yet, but I did happen to notice that the oil level appears to have gone UP suggesting that it was ingesting gasoline on the freeway. I am assuming at this point that it is a stuck float or scrogged needle valve. When I went through the carburetors a month or so ago, I spent no money on them whatsoever. I just cleaned them out. I paid attention to float pivots but...

So, the last thing I wanted to do was to pull the carbs back off of this thing. I'll try running the bowls dry and sloshing them again a couple of times. Might even puff a little air into the fuel Inlet. If that doesn't do it, it'll have to wait its turn behind the valkyrie who's carburetors are currently in many pieces on the bench.

I have a sticker on my tool box that says "I love carburetors".

I might rip that sumbitch off there!

Latest posts