I bought a Vetter Terraplane that had a Goldwing attached!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bad,not familiar with your climate!
Missouri is a bit different. We have rain,snow,ice,dew,frost, you name it,at times all in the same week. Just hate to see folks kill their machines by trapping moisture.
Most places are more prone to this damage.
At any rate that is a sweet rig you have there!

I used Nu Finish car polish on my Vetter faring after it was left outside in the weather year round for more than 12 years and that paint ended up looking nearly brand new!

image.php

image.php

image.php

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm relieved none of you "naked" purists think I'm nuts. (At least you're not saying it in polite company). I'm still feeling pretty good about this purchase four days after the fact. This rig will clean up very nicely. There's no rust at all. Hey, this is Arizona. It's dirty as heck and the paint has seen better days (bike and car). But, after a thorough detailing - and a complete tune up, I think this will be a nice setup. If I go so far as to paint it (jury still out on that one), I am confident that selling won't be a problem.

Storage is getting to be a problem. After my divorce some years ago, I lost <sniff> my 1000 sq. ft. detached garage/shop. Dang, I miss that place. For now, this rig will have to reside outside beside the house. I may do some juggling in the garage while it's under construction (the Westfalia might move to the side of the house). The Valkyrie and the "first" '78 stay garaged.

Anyway, I'm thrilled - both to have a new project and to have something I always subconsciously wanted!

IMG_4293 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4298 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4301.JPG

I could see myself keeping the whole thing together and going military on all of it. Saddle seat, ammo boxes, big star on the tank and sidecar. Be a fun second bike.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182258#p182258:2by6nmtq said:
desertrefugee » Yesterday, 11:09 pm[/url]":2by6nmtq]
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm relieved none of you "naked" purists think I'm nuts. (At least you're not saying it in polite company). I'm still feeling pretty good about this purchase four days after the fact. This rig will clean up very nicely. There's no rust at all. Hey, this is Arizona. It's dirty as heck and the paint has seen better days (bike and car). But, after a thorough detailing - and a complete tune up, I think this will be a nice setup. If I go so far as to paint it (jury still out on that one), I am confident that selling won't be a problem.
I think that is Cool As Heck! I'm sorry to hear you talk of possibly flipping it. Not for your sake so much, as mine. I start thinking, "My cousin lives in Pheonix... I could have a nice visit and ride the rig back to Connecticut... Yeah!" I have no money (blue collar job; 1 in college, 1 on the way) I have no place to put it, but lord I would still love to have a sidecar. Do me a favor, if I call, don't answer the phone; if I PM you, don't reply. I need professional help. :nea: Thanx, Dave

I think we're in the same boat, Dave.

Keep paddling!

As for flipping, this is actually an experiment. It will be either love or hate and any "flip" would depend on the outcome of the experiment. I think I already know what the outcome is going to be...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182292#p182292:1zyohcip said:
slabghost » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:09 am[/url]":1zyohcip]
Cleaned up and a few choice mods you'll love it I'll bet.
+1 :good:

I don't know how long I'll be comfortable having my beloved Westfalia out in the weather, but for now, it is. Believe it or not, it was a two hour project just getting it to the side of the house. (Don't ask - and it is running fine.)

So, now it's time to get serious. I had done a little rewiring, a little cleaning and a little dismantling outside and quickly grew tired of that nonsense. One takes for granted being a couple of steps away from what you need rather than a hundred feet. And then there are the mosquitoes. (Yes, even in Arizona. Green pools and lots of irrigation give the little buggers plenty of habitat).

Since my game is coming on, that's all for today, but serious times are ahead.

IMG_4392.JPG

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182354#p182354:1g61ixli said:
desertrefugee » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:23 am[/url]":1g61ixli]
I don't know how long I'll be comfortable having my beloved Westfalia out in the weather, but for now, it is. Believe it or not, it was a two hour project just getting it to the side of the house. (Don't ask - and it is running fine.)

So, now it's time to get serious. I had done a little rewiring, a little cleaning and a little dismantling outside and quickly grew tired of that nonsense. One takes for granted being a couple of steps away from what you need rather than a hundred feet. And then there are the mosquitoes. (Yes, even in Arizona. Green pools and lots of irrigation give the little buggers plenty of habitat).

Since my game is coming on, that's all for today, but serious times are ahead.

file.php
:good:

I totally understand being outside and away from tools. Nothing has been done on mine since the 1200 motor on a stand stole the bikes parking space in the garage. Not complaining though, just means I have to get busy straightening up the garage.

Lucky dog! I'd have had a hard time passing that too! I'm really glad it fell into the right hands that will keep the bike and get it on the road again. It could have met a sad fate. :clapping: :clapping:

Having the beast in the garage is a huge motivator. I got a little done tonight - once it became clear that the Cardinals were not going to have any trouble.
IMG_4403.JPG

I first pulled the windscreen off the sidecar. I was distressed to find a crack in the fiberglass, but it had what appears to be an old repair (riveted brace that must have been done right. Luckily, the crack stayed under the windscreen - or I might not have noticed it. I'm going to ignore it.
IMG_4408.JPG

IMG_4409.JPG

A bit bummed, I moved over to the bike. Pulled the left timing cover. Check. Belts are definitely NOT new. Went to pull the right and ran into a snag. Crash bar and front lower car frame mount prevent easy removal. I'll pull the frame mount tomorrow ('ish).
IMG_4410 (1).JPG

IMG_4411.JPG

I prepped for pulling the carbs. Got the airbox out. And get a load of these coils. All I know is they're YELLOW. They look like Accels, but ...
And here's the module for the Gerex ignition. Confirmed. Kudos again to the resident ghost for the initial ID.
IMG_4406.JPG

IMG_4407.JPG

Tomorrow's another day...

Latest posts