I know every rock and sand bar around here........there's one now......

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Just a little scratch, I am sure it won’t cost much to fix” :head bang:

There's a sea story of a left-over WW2 diesel submarine navigating back to port. Skipper decided that he didn't need tug support as they would have to wait in line for one, and he had two screws therefore manuevering abilities. But, the current and eddys were more than the ship and crew could manage and they hit the pier. Hard, even managed to hit a car parked on ths pier - the skipper's! I'd like to have heard the discussion with his insurance rep.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206883#p206883:i0q7uh04 said:
pidjones » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:32 am[/url]":i0q7uh04]
There's a sea story of a left-over WW2 diesel submarine navigating back to port. Skipper decided that he didn't need tug support as they would have to wait in line for one, and he had two screws therefore manuevering abilities. But, the current and eddys were more than the ship and crew could manage and they hit the pier. Hard, even managed to hit a car parked on ths pier - the skipper's! I'd like to have heard the discussion with his insurance rep.
Subs are a whole different animal when it comes to maneuvering. It may have been twin screw, but that long skinny tube doesn't maneuver like a ship!

I've seen them do it with success. I've also seen them take out pilings on pier November in Charleston. Pretty funny as we were also having squadron change of command. The Navy band was there for it, and playing "Rubber Ducky" as the old boat took out the piling about 50 ft from the head of the pier. I was pier sentry. Some fun!

Latest posts