Is this alt. OK ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a little followup about the one wire regulator.

I opened the mini Denso I have with a 1 wire regulator hoping to find a jumper of some kind so I could turn it back to a field exciter.
Nope, it's integral to the regulator.
I see regulators online, I might order one.
I don't like that parasitic drain on the battery.

Huh?
I think we're talking about 2 different things here.
I get what your saying but the reason I posted the pic was to point out that the one wire alternator can't be made back into a conventional with a separate exciter wire without changing the regulator since earlier in this thread we were talking about possibly a jumper in place that could be removed.

dan filipi":235gszp8 said:
Just a little followup about the one wire regulator.

I opened the mini Denso I have with a 1 wire regulator hoping to find a jumper of some kind so I could turn it back to a field exciter.
Nope, it's integral to the regulator.
I see regulators online, I might order one.
I don't like that parasitic drain on the battery.
Definitely going to convert mine back to the regulator that uses a separate field wire.
Yesterday I found my battery drained to 10 volts after sitting a week.

I have the single wire alt. on my truck. My plan is to put a relay on that wire so it's not connected unless the ignition is on.

slabghost":3h73k1o3 said:
I have the single wire alt. on my truck. My plan is to put a relay on that wire so it's not connected unless the ignition is on.
On marine engines, we use either a fuel pressure switch or oil pressure switch rather than a relay. Oil pressure is preferred so that the alternator does not put any load on the engine until after it is running.

I was thinking a relay also but there's more wiring on top of all the extra wiring and relays I've added with other mods.
Another part to fail also.
At least with a field exciter wire it's just one wire to the fuse panel or piggy onto some other wire.

I haven't had the necessity to do so yet as my stator has not been tested as my trike ain't running. But I have done some ground work, checking into the price and availability of a 1 wire alt. My favorite junk yard, "Rust In Piece", will sell me the aforementioned alt for just $38 plus trade in/core. I think it is a Denso made Delco/Remy branded unit off a Chevy Sprint or one of the clones of that car. :yes:

Started the conversion on mine today, I am just going to install a basic battery disconnect switch and locate it in. Convenient but not in open view and consider it an additional anti theft device.

I always favored the external regulator setups(or at least, remotely mounted sensing wires) . An internally regulated alternator will produce the proper voltage level at the output post but that is no guarantee that the battery will see the same voltage level, voltage drop from connector resistance and wire loses come into play. Mounting the voltage sensing wire on the switched side of the ignition switch will make sure the alternator will put out enough to overcome any loses in the circuit, brighter lights and more spark voltage. Also, it eliminates any current drain problems while the bike is parked.

Latest posts