Left side is 1/4 turn out of time.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolson7560

Reaction score
My '83 GL1100 jumped time on me an obviously ran like crap, (but actually ran, barely). I brought it around to TDC and the right side is dead on, but the left side is 1/4 turn off. What is the best way to get this back in time? Do I need to back off the valves all the way?

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!

THANK YOU!

It's much easier with the valve adjusters loose. BUT...you need to find out why it jumped time, and if there was any damage done when it happened. Pistons tend to hit valves when cam timing jumps more than a tooth or two. Is the timing belt loose or stripped? Was there any nasty knocking noise when it happened? Fingers crossed that things are OK...

Yes back off the adjusters. And I too would like to know the answer to steve83's questions. Is the tensioner way loose? If it didn't make a lot of noise. And belt is undamaged. Set timing correctly and reset valves. Then if no contact turning motor by hand a few revolutions. Do a compression test.

Everyone's assuming you mean valve timing, so, so am I.

Yes, you do need to back off those tappet clearances, leave them loose, different job entirely.

T1 is your friend here, and UP means UP. There are a bunch of YouTube videos on how to do valve timing.

And a great how-to by Roady on here and on NGW's on how to fix up your tappets!

Well, thanks for the help.. My worst fears are realized. No compression on the left side. Looks like I have a big decision to make. Anyone know what kind of job it is to rebuild it?

Your going to have to pull that head to get an idea of the damage, hopefully it is only to the head and that's not to bad as used heads are available. If it got a piston or two, that would be a different story.

Several years ago, I bought an '80 1100 with a stripped timing belt. All 4 valves were bent, but no piston damage. A used head from Ebay, a set of top end gaskets, new timing belts, and a bit of work got her running like new. Pull the head and let us know what you find...

Agreed! probably just the head. At any rate it certainly won't cost you anything but a little time to pull it and find out.

Good suggestions already. Mine would be that you get decent (Honda) head gaskets before things go back together as was mentioned earlier. And from experience order the little rubber O-rings for the water crossover tubes while you're at it (4). They'll leak and you will think the head gasket is the culprit.

I too hope that the valves are all that are in trouble. Pretty easy, and relatively cheap, to fix.