low compression ideas/help

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just a quick update. about 900 miles running atf in fuel. compression test on cold engine is now 150 on three cylinders and 140 on one of them.
Still using oil and am now starting to use some atf in oil as talked about in this thread.
only leak found is from left side rocker cover after being parked and just a couple drops. already replaced cover gasket and bolt rubber grommets.
Still same leak. Tried permatex no. 2 and thought that worked ( it did stay dry for a while ) but same leak.
looked diligently at cam seal area and point cover area to make sure that leak was not just running down from those places.
Leak is not coming from any other area such as shifter seal or any thing else as far as I can tell.
Still running great on single carb and I'll keep up the atf for awhile longer.
dave

Run 4-6 oz of ATF in the oil until the next oil change and ATF in the fuel until we get real gasoline again. That may be a while.

How much oil is it burning/ using? You will get some smoke from ATF in the fuel. Compression is good in my book :good:

how is your crankcase breather routed ...it is probably blowing oil out the there with boxer motor the pinton air surge is left and right causing oil to to come crank breather ...more than a stand up motor witch oushes down all time and likely too ....cranhcase breather hose should be routed up high and then go low or do a circle with it ...many ways are better than just out crankcase and down .......this is just a stab ..but with lack of burning the oil ...it might be going out here dave :mrgreen:

breather is routed up to air filter like a car from the 70's with its own filter and then back into intake.
using more oil than seems logical, right now if I remember,( I have it written down out in the garage )
just under a qt. per 500 miles.
I know there should either be a constant cloud of smoke or a puddle of oil under bike but there isn't.
just some when backing off from high rpm, like bad valve guide seals ( I did replace those already )

:headscratch:

dave

I'd try running oil level at the bottom line of the site glass. These bikes use more oil if run at the full mark. Keep a close eye of the level after each ride.

I had an engine with one damaged oil ring, it smoked like a sum bitch but didn't burn a quart in 500 miles.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133641#p133641:3tm9aha3 said:
dan filipi » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:10 am[/url]":3tm9aha3]
I'd try running oil level at the bottom line of the site glass. These bikes use more oil if run at the full mark. Keep a close eye of the level after each ride.

I had an engine with one damaged oil ring, it smoked like a sum bitch but didn't burn a quart in 500 miles.

+1 on not overfilling

well dave says its not leaking out ...so its got to go some where it must burn it ...id unhook the crancase breather and put it some where i could see it blow on something and it get oil on it whil riding its the only door thats open

will do on checking crankcase vent for oil residue. I have a filter on end of hose so should be able to see if it's messier than it should be.
I'll also run it to open air to see if I can spot blow by.
Thanks all for advice, not wanting to bitch too much about this prob it's just everything else is just so nice now with bike.
dave