Low compression motor. Ran low on oil. What to do?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony Ruiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pondering this.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/5760488267.html
I don't really need the bike per se. I'd like it for parts - body - esp. if the paint is good/great. To me it is a non-running parts bike. I'd go $200 - $250 depending on the paint.

For anyone looking at this as a project...I think it would be easier to spend another 850 and buy one that ran.

Would any of you buy this, take apart the motor/heads and do rings and valves?

If I had a spare motor I might swap that but I don't have the skills to do rings and valves. But if I did would I?

I had/have one that had low compression. I got it running (carbs) and haven't had any issues other than elec. and carb. I think the compression came up but I haven't checkd so I really can't say.

Looks like a decent bike actually. Do you know the bike? How do you know it ran low on oil? :headscratch:

That low compression could just be bent valves from a bad belt replacement or stuck rings from sitting. I would offer $600 for it easy.

Beautiful bike! Rings and gaskets are available. The rings for a Chevy Geo 1.6L will work, I used a set on my '83. Valve work is not difficult, and used heads are everywhere if needed. Or, a used engine as stated above. If 52K miles are original - and the bike looks really clean, so they might be, it may have sat for a while and rings are sticking. ATF to the rescue!

Does it run? If so, does it smoke? Worth looking into, for sure.

How do you know it ran low on oil? :headscratch:

I emailed and got a bit more info.

Hmm... didn't notice the chock.

I'm not really into making low ball offers (I know the feeling) but it'd be worth a lot less to me. I don't want to find a donor motor (been there did that) - I have unfinished projects if ya know what I mean. :fiddle: I've seen this one more than once.

I want the body parts so I don't have to paint mine. I suppose I can offset some of the cost but been there done that too.

I think the consensus is the serious buyer (maybe not me) would find a donor motor. I hear ya'll.
I'm going to call the guy just the same see what's what.
thanks

Latest posts