Lowering my 1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Omega Man":4ps21cdb said:
mcgovern61":4ps21cdb said:
I have a Saddleman Road Sofa seat which at the driver's saddle is lower than a Standard '82 seat.
Are you sure about this? I had a Saddlemen and it was most definitely was higher, and this is the only claim I've ever read "they are taller than stock." I put an OEM back on and I'm back IN the bubble instead of on TOP of it.~O~
I measured my seat to ground clearance and it is 28 1/2". My inseam is 29", but the seat is real fat at my legs causing me to kinda straddle the seat if you will.
MVC-535F.JPG

This is why I cannot go flat foot to the ground! (Maybe the platform shoes aren't such a bad idea after all!) :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

If I could get down to 27 1/2" I could make it work. (Must be time to carve some foam!)

I had my stock seat off recently. It easily adds 4" of height. If you get a junk seat and cover it yourself I'm betting you can make it comfortable and at least 2" lower. :salute:

slabghost":27prvain said:
I had my stock seat off recently. It easily adds 4" of height. If you get a junk seat and cover it yourself I'm betting you can make it comfortable and at least 2" lower. :salute:
The killer part there is, when I got the bike given to me, the seat was shot from being outside for 12 years. I bought an '81 parts bike which is where I got this seat. After I got the bike on the road, I cleaned out the garage and got rid of broken rusty and worn out parts, including THE SEAT!!! I had one and threw it out! :swoon: :doh:

1982-9.JPG

(Gotta admit, it was in nasty shape! The foam had been wet and was real moldy and the cover was hard as a rock.)

Bummer all you needed was the pan. I almost never toss any parts. Unfortunately I don't have any wing parts bikes. You could make a pan from fiberglass or plywood. For cushion I'd start with either a rubber floor mat or the heavy foam carpet padding. If memory serves ( I didn't measure) if you make the seat only as wide as the frame. You'll gain maybe an inch or two leg room straddle the bike. For a fiberglass pan. Cut a layer of cardboard to fit the frame and cover it tightly with plastic wrap. mask off surrounding areas and start layering fiberglass. Some heavy sheet metal between layers can add strength. Be sure to build a skirt to it down the sides an inch or two.

dan filipi":12zijvj9 said:
Gerry, I have an old seat with a good pan iffin you want it.
Thanks Dan, but I might consider carving down the foam in this one. Besides, I really don't want to give up my backrest!

Do you still have the standard headlight and turn signal assembly? I am still giving consideration to going standard with a windshield. (If only I could make my own fairing.) The Vetter works great, but it is heavy and dated. Since I saw that 1500 Valkyrie Interstate, I would like to duplicate that look on my bike. (Might just be wishful thinking) :nea:

slabghost":1cuaovtt said:
Lowering the bike will limit your leaning ability. As far as I know my 80 & 81 are both stock. In making a sharp left turn the other day I had my toe under the shifter and the sole of my shoe dragged road surface lightly. I don't think I could make some of the turns around here if the bikes were lowered at all.
Actually, that is very interesting. I lean into my turns pretty good, but my footpegs are no where near touching (Not like the floorboards that I removed). I think I might try moving the triple tree down a little.

I saw on another site someone that cut the top out of his fuel tank and welded a new top on. I know that would only work for people that can work with metal and weld but it did lower it about 1 to 1 1/2". I like the idea of stacks also. I am 5' 7" But only with my work boots on. :lol:

mcgovern61":2l4dv76w said:
slabghost":2l4dv76w said:
Lowering the bike will limit your leaning ability. As far as I know my 80 & 81 are both stock. In making a sharp left turn the other day I had my toe under the shifter and the sole of my shoe dragged road surface lightly. I don't think I could make some of the turns around here if the bikes were lowered at all.
Actually, that is very interesting. I lean into my turns pretty good, but my footpegs are no where near touching (Not like the floorboards that I removed). I think I might try moving the triple tree down a little.
Seems I'm a little more aggressive than most. Maybe that is why I'm first out of the parking lot at shift change?

Does anyone else here get a charlie horse from the right brake pedal? I am a short guy with big feet (11")? I can't keep my toes on the rear brake for a minute ...

:hi:

paddy.shadow":cla72sr3 said:
Dave":cla72sr3 said:
Just dont stop
To buggery with this 'you must do this''you cant do that' world that surronds us, don't want to have to reach for the floor then just dont stop, heck don't even encorage the blighters by slowing down :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

oh yeh I wear 2 1/2 inch heeled riding boots :blush:
aussies speak their mind!
Do you want to be totally comfortable stopped?
Or would you rather be totally comfortable leaned over doing 50 in 15 decreasing radius corner??????
I, would rather have to tip toe on occasion and go hard into corner, rather than have to tip toe into a corner and feel comfortable stopped, but what do I know?

Same principle as most motorcross riders...........seen a few tip toeing on stops.Its normal on those tall bikes.
THEN DON'T STOP!!!!!!....AC-DC.......HIGHWAY TO HELL COMES TO MIND!!!!!!! :evil:

mcgovern61":2nm7jozs said:
slabghost":2nm7jozs said:
The killer part there is, when I got the bike given to me, the seat was shot from being outside for 12 years. I bought an '81 parts bike which is where I got this seat. After I got the bike on the road, I cleaned out the garage and got rid of broken rusty and worn out parts, including THE SEAT!!! I had one and threw it out! :swoon: :doh:

(Gotta admit, it was in nasty shape! The foam had been wet and was real moldy and the cover was hard as a rock.)

It was a perfect candidate for the mod,with a cover (friend of mine paid 50 bucks some years back would have been cheap)with some craftsmanship if could have been done by yourself.Hey a thru one also some time ago too :doh: .It was in better condition then the pictured one.But before trashing it, I repaired the seat tears with some type of clear glue to repair car upholstery in gral.It helped some time but eventually bought a good used one.It's definetly the seat width that doesn't let your legs straighter down.I wouldn't lower the foam on your good seat,but would try to find a way to slim it a bit on the sides.I woudn't touch suspension,I normally drag pegs on freeways on & off close curveds without even trying.Sometimes like Dan said I drag toes also :Doh2: catches me by suprise and reminds me that it is allready a low bike.Lowering a bit the suspension wont think that will bother you since you claim not dragging pegs.Eventually finding a balance till you figure out the best option that suits your needs.

jdept":fecoshnl said:
Does anyone else here get a charlie horse from the right brake pedal? I am a short guy with big feet (11")? I can't keep my toes on the rear brake for a minute ...

You can try bending the brake pedal outward a bit.

jdept":31hsa93t said:

If you do try to bend it ........if posible.... try to hold the pivot point(no other term comes to mind)that welds to the frame,so as to cause the less stress at the weld or bend backwards the protuding pin.Half an inch would be more than enough.make sure that welds are not cracked by taking it off (great oportunity to grease it )and that it moves freely as it did before.New GOOD quality cotter pin is a must not those cheap import soft metal ones if old one is not in tip top shape :heat: :beer:

I don't get a charley horse but I'd imagine having to lift your foot to apply the brake would cause one. Maybe better to lower it?
There is an adjustment at the master cylinder. I'm not sure how much adjustment it will get you but try that before bending anything.

carl62cycles":w6fwljey said:
jdept":w6fwljey said:

If you do try to bend it ........if posible.... try to hold the pivot point(no other term comes to mind)that welds to the frame,so as to cause the less stress at the weld or bend backwards the protuding pin.Half an inch would be more than enough.make sure that welds are not cracked by taking it off (great oportunity to grease it )and that it moves freely as it did before.New GOOD quality cotter pin is a must not those cheap import soft metal ones if old one is not in tip top shape :heat: :beer:

I had a bad experience recently when I was riding and reinstalled my rear M/C after the rebuld. The M/C didn't originally have a cotter pin and pin but a bolt with two nuts instead. However, I think the reason why it worked for so long is because rust was keeping the nuts from backing out. ....so when I removed the rust on the bolts and reinstalled it wasn't but 20 miles on the bike I lost my rear foot pedal control. Now I have a zinc plated pin with the beefiest cotter pin I could fit. It should hold up for a long time. :Doh2:

In the last few weeks I noticed that since I took my sheep skin off I can touch ground real easy! And getting off and on has been even easier! I also noticed that the roads are getting more expansion cracks from the summer heat and they are buckling making the ride a bit harsh and bumpy. I also noticed that the bike bottomed out on the driveway.

GETTIN OLD IS REAL TOUGH SOMETIMES!!!

Went to do a routine check and THERE IS NO AIR IN THE REAR SHOCKS!!!! Of course the bike is easier to get on! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Put 48 lbs back in and the bike suddenly smoothed right out again (where were those buckles again?) I don't know when they lost their air. I checked them back in April! :smilie_happy:

Soooo....the bike didn't really get lower...its right back where it started and I still need my '70's platform shoes! :smilie_happy:

I DID IT!!! FLAT FOOTIN THE GROUND! I lowered the triple tree 1" down the forks. (They were right at the top). The whole bike is down a bit lower now....but...boy does it really handle great now! Lowering the bike lowered the center of gravity enough that she leans right into turns like a smaller bike! I am real happy! I have not bottomed out on anything either.

This is a simple mod (that I should have done sooner) that really helps get your feet on the ground when stopped, but I believe has greatly improved the handling!