Make your own clutch nut socket

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joedrum,
Millions of years ago I rode out to Minneapolis to visit friends for the Summer.
My 78 XS 1100 needed steering head bearings badly as soon as arrived there from California. So I did the repair/install in their backyard under a $3 tarp to keep the torrential rain off, makes a dry field look inviting.
Im too lazy to do that anymore, besides I bicycle to work year round and do plenty of that stuff at night beside the road.

Dan,
Thanks for the photos, I would have thought to see the words Timing Belt somewhere in their description. Or, dead center at front of engine under belt cover...
Once again I learned something by contacting this forum, THANKS.
LOL, now Im gonna take a look at those belts and want to change them.
phil

Made one. Luckily I have access to precision machining equipment.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 583
So I came home and began taking the clutch apart. I went to use the newly machined socket only to discover it was 1/4" too big. I was thinking wtf did I do wrong, then I remembered that Dans bike is an 1100 and mine is a 1000. Interesting the nut is so differently sized.

The actual dimensions of the clutch nut are .910" flat to flat across the widest part and each notch is about .230" wide. Ima make a new tool tomorrow.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=165827#p165827:13of2tns said:
julimike54 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:27 am[/url]":13of2tns]
As They say...no picture...didn't happen :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
:good: :useless:

Latest posts