Manifold design.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just went outside and turned my manifold sideways,way too tight,doesnt seem feasible to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh its doable for sure an might have great out come ...you never know till you try something I don't go on anything else ...like what I think it will do ... may be a super flow asset

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=104675#p104675:3qcpwd9b said:
Dusterdude » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:56 am[/url]":3qcpwd9b]
Just went outside and turned my manifold sideways,way too tight,doesnt seem feasible to me

That was pretty much my thought too.

If you are not using the stock gas tank you may be able to it,but its super tight to the front side,dont see how to make a good 90 degree turn out of the manifold

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=104681#p104681:1tcdzey9 said:
Dusterdude » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:49 pm[/url]":1tcdzey9]
If you are not using the stock gas tank you may be able to it,but its super tight to the front side,dont see how to make a good 90 degree turn out of the manifold

Lowes has 90 degree copper fittings in 1". Almost $9 each though. Might be cheaper at another store. Soldered into sleeves like Dan's 1" runners it might be possible. From the 90s to the stock intake horns either copper or 1" emt conduit should work. Probably need sleeves at the intake horns too. If it fits that should make it easier to use the choke and fuel inlet on the carb.

Yes they do and i will take a harder look at it next weekend,but im not too positive about it

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=104673#p104673:23y0r2nu said:
joedrum » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:45 am[/url]":23y0r2nu]
well with sqare to motor intake horns it will never be totally equal in lenth or without some bending ..theres no way to get around the off set of the cylinders

This is where I would think the original manifold design would shine; the one where ya got two runners going all the way across the motor, from ports on the left head to the ports on the right. With 90 degree down turns with paper gaskets at each port, or just straight across from intake horn to intake horn. The so-called "grab-bar" intake.
(In the case of the later, 2 of the horns may have to be cut and turned, then re-welded.) Then the plenum with carb a-top midway long-wise, and stagger the holes in the runner tubes to all be equal distance (as close as possible, anyway,) from the heads.
In this type manifold, depending on how wide the plenum might be, you would be able to have the holes for the air charge entering the runners at the same point in the plenum side to side. If ya can foller this, ya be good. :yahoo:
I always have considered this system of a home made manifold the most practical, IF, and that's a BIG if, y'all have at least a tiny little bit of mechanical aptitude. (No offense intended here, folks!) I'm a GREAT believer in forced air induction, especially the free kind (ram air). Having some kind of force behind the fuel/air charge to augment the suction of the piston going down in the cylinder bore.
I am a relatively new member of this forum, but I think it was the capt that first did this type of manifold, but I'm not sure. Don't wanna rob credit from anyone, just trying to give credit where it's due.
I also think it was on that other good forum by Mr. Saunders, but again, not sure.
Bottom line, as has been stated, we're just trying to help each other keep our oldwings running!