My MBS Disease is getting worse

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I brought home another motorcycle. The third one I have owned. Regretted selling the first two, this one fell into my lap for a song. One owner and another 10 year sleeper. Very needy but really good bones. Enough said. I’ll eventually come to my senses. Maybe.

These things get into your blood. Once you’ve had one, you can’t do without one. This one is 100% original. Nothing has been modified or altered. Even the handgrips. My last one was a mod monster. Many many upgrades and changes. Might keep this one in stock.

4BF1EA0E-8F8C-4950-9044-962FAA2B855C.jpeg

BE7C6031-1695-4C2A-B0FB-159F3B5EFB56.jpeg

C3612801-2F8D-4E0D-BB74-3C8C05247D8C.jpeg

I am not crazy, just making up for lost time. If I am lucky, I can be at this another decade give or take. I dont want to waste a minute. I have the space and I am gonna damn well use it.

As for the Vmax, it's a machine like no other. Raw. I wish I had kept my '94. Sold it when I bought the Valkyrie. Mistake. But this one has potential after I resolve fuel pump, ignition, vboost, fork seals, oil leaks and clutch issues. Sheesh.

At least the price was rigbt.

Looks like a fun project, but I could never get over how much these things remind me of my Grandmother's Kirby vacuum cleaner, only on massive doses of steroids, lol!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215713#p215713:2mvczo2s said:
GTC@MSAC » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:56 am[/url]":2mvczo2s]
Looks like a fun project, but I could never get over how much these things remind me of my Grandmother's Kirby vacuum cleaner, only on massive doses of steroids, lol!
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215750#p215750:387an3qf said:
desertrefugee » 16 Feb 2020, 19:19[/url]":387an3qf]
Ride one once. The way they were intended to be ridden. You will never ever compare it to a vacuum cleaner again.

Lol, I have, several times, back when they were new, even. It definitely has a unique look, but it has always had a comical appearance to me. If it makes you feel any better, I found the 700 and 1200 Suzuki Maduras just as comical, and I rode each of those a time or two as well. With me only weighing 130 lbs., it's all overkill for me anyway!

Yeah, the Maduras were hideous. I was never huge on the Vmax motor paint theme, but the overall bike has always appealed to me. Like I said, I've had a few.

Here’s a shot of my recently departed 94. The flames were temporary from an 85 I parted out. It was and went back to yellow. Miss that one.

47E78583-C9BA-4DE3-8195-FD58BFBE7E64.jpeg

By the way, and I won’t make a long drawn out thread about this thing, but the manifold you see above is the magic of the Vmax. You might’ve heard of Vboost. That’s where it happens, in that manifold below the carburetors.. There’s a servo attached to two butterflies in the middle of each runner between the two V’s. A controller box monitors engine speed from tach pulses and opens up the butterflies in those runners as the RPMs increase effectively feeding each cylinder from two carburetors at once!

It’s quite the kick in the pants if you’ve never experienced it.

I had a buddy with a Suzuki GT550 triple. Like the Vmax, it really doesn't matter what it LOOKS like, Most people only ever see them from ONE view... the taillight and back tire... through a cloud of smoke... :wave:

But for the V-max, it was just the rear tire smoking, not the tire AND the exhaust... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

We just have to admit: Sometimes Ugly is beautiful, and beautiful is ugly. There's absolutely no doubt that when you twist the throttle of a VMax, what it was built to do.

I'd ride one... it's the production equivalent of putting a car engine in a motorcycle chassis... EJ Potter all over again...

This was during the time when companies like Yamaha and Suzuki were experimenting with variable valve timing and variable intake and exhaust volume... the concept being that by being able to vary those aspects, the tuning resonance could be set so the powerband could have a very high peak, but rather than being in one tight spot, that peak could be modulated to result in a much wider useable powerband. It made for lots of complexity, and if not working, it'd be downright cantakarous to ride, and a PITA to work on...

If anyone's interested, read about Yamaha's YICS, and Honda's CVCC systems. Honda even made a CVCC setup for a '73 Chevy Impala... and it worked...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215775#p215775:2tky0807 said:
desertrefugee » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:35 pm[/url]":2tky0807]
By the way, and I won’t make a long drawn out thread about this thing, but the manifold you see above is the magic of the Vmax. You might’ve heard of Vboost. That’s where it happens, in that manifold below the carburetors.. There’s a servo attached to two butterflies in the middle of each runner between the two V’s. A controller box monitors engine speed from tach pulses and opens up the butterflies in those runners as the RPMs increase effectively feeding each cylinder from two carburetors at once!

It’s quite the kick in the pants if you’ve never experienced it.
??

On this forum somewhere is where I built a single carb setup. That had throttle plaletes in each runner so.velosity could be adjusted...never really got to.a bike ...used old carb rack gutted and plug as runners and the plenum as carb mount...simply went to.different carb mount and shelved project ..i had huge possible in my head at the tiime

I had a Vmax in the 90's , traded a 68 T-Bird for it , only had it through a summer , but , it was really hard on the Rear Tires.....LOL …… didn't handle as good as I thought it should at anything over 100 mph. did good , at speed limit …. and as for the Suzuki GT550 , I had a number of them , and I also owned 11 Suzuki GT750 … owned at least 1 of every year ever made, 72 thru 77 … when they was setup right , with a 2 stroke rider , in a drag race at that time , 0 thru 115 mph, nothing in America street legal had a chance. I used to have a wall full of awards. but... back to the Vmax , yes...….. it was a Beast . wish I had the one I had now.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215923#p215923:3stegp4e said:
sledge » Yesterday, 8:13 pm[/url]":3stegp4e]
didn't handle as good as I thought it should at anything over 100 mph.

:smilie_happy:

Doing the real tests, I see.

I can’t think of another motorcycle that compares to this thing. There’s something just visceral about it. A Vmax with an open Kerker is a sound straight from heaven. My last 94 had one, but they are pricey and I have no intention of splashing cash roughly equal to what I have invested in the whole motorcycle just for an exhaust.

As noted, this is my third Vmax. It needs a bit more than I expected being a one owner bike, but I am taking my time and have been enjoying going through this thing. Been doing a lot of detail work, but I’ve also run into a couple of snags. As for the detail, here’s the same view as above, but after a fair amount of love shown:
68C2E3E2-657E-407B-92F6-BBE41197281B.jpeg

That’s the story pretty much everywhere. But the carburetors held a little nasty surprise for me. One of the idle mixture screws was bottomed out and jammed in the hole. I delicately tried extracting it, but ruined the slot in the screw. I went a step further and tried to extract it by drilling and an easy out, but it quickly became apparent that I was going to ruin the carb body if I went any further. A man’s got to know his limits.

A friend referred me to a company here locally that uses a process called EDM or electrical discharge machining, to burrow a small hole in the offending bit and then pull it out that way. Almost guaranteed and zero damage to the threads. They got their start this way, but have branched out into aerospace and lots of other pursuits. Quite the facility with lots of capital equipment investment. So my carbs are visiting there for a couple of days.

Interesting place:

https://www.micro-tronics.com/

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215936#p215936:76zlbrrt said:
desertrefugee » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:13 am[/url]":76zlbrrt]
I can’t think of another motorcycle that compares to this thing. There’s something just visceral about it. A Vmax with an open Kerker is a sound straight from heaven. My last 94 had one, but they are pricey and I have no intention of splashing cash roughly equal to what I have invested in the whole motorcycle just for an exhaust.

As noted, this is my third Vmax. It needs a bit more than I expected being a one owner bike, but I am taking my time and have been enjoying going through this thing. Been doing a lot of detail work, but I’ve also run into a couple of snags. As for the detail, here’s the same view as above, but after a fair amount of love shown:

That’s the story pretty much everywhere. But the carburetors held a little nasty surprise for me. One of the idle mixture screws was bottomed out and jammed in the hole. I delicately tried extracting it, but ruined the slot in the screw. I went a step further and tried to extract it by drilling and an easy out, but it quickly became apparent that I was going to ruin the carb body if I went any further. A man’s got to know his limits.

A friend referred me to a company here locally that uses a process called EDM or electrical discharge machining, to burrow a small hole in the offending bit and then pull it out that way. Almost guaranteed and zero damage to the threads. They got their start this way, but have branched out into aerospace and lots of other pursuits. Quite the facility with lots of capital equipment investment. So my carbs are visiting there for a couple of days.

Interesting place:

https://www.micro-tronics.com/
file.php
:good:

It looks like the worst is behind me. The bike is off the operating table and the maiden voyage has been taken. The motorcycle is running well if fishtailing down the street is any indicator. I was relieved to find a very solid second gear. I’m still burning oil off some nooks and crannies. I thought I had cleaned it all up, and I hope it’s still just residual from the two massively leaking valve covers it had. Compression was 150+ or -5 and all four holes, so I’m relatively confident that I’m not looking at head gasket issues here. But this oil continuing to burn off is making me nervous. I guess I need to run it more to see if it persists.

It was running horribly. 3 of 4 pilot jets were plugged, one of the idle mixture screws was jammed all the way down in the bore and stripped needing to be extracted. Two out of four washers were missing under the large screw in the jet blocks. Not sure if that’s critical, but I came up with suitable replacements. And all four floats were completely out of whack.

When I first fired it up, it was still running like crap until I realized that I had left the vacuum line off the #2 carb. Whew.

But it’s good to be out on a Max again. This thing schidts and gets.

329EF832-2EF1-432B-8C54-151E23612DB8.jpeg

58CCABEC-71C1-41D4-954E-B1D41DBD6EC8.jpeg

3B6DA3FE-19F8-4D75-96B0-10BA7B8F4559.jpeg

Latest posts