new 1200 project for the doghouse

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93648#p93648:1yi3fn4l said:
gingerbreadman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:02 pm[/url]":1yi3fn4l]
(by the way, she has a name: "pissed Frengi".)

I can see the resemblance :smilie_happy: Nice work on the fairing and the steering.

well I don't think the trike getting hooched ....it is to radicle as of now to do it to trike ... and besides the deal was to get it going in stock form to get it finished so it could be rode .... and part of my deal was to get the the extra parts for me part payment that I could see me get .......as far as I know this deal hasn't changed mark is the one who made it....long before the trike came here ......

as it is right now I don't even have a good handle on hooching ...now that I have the c5 its become obvious to me major stuff has to be done and worked out .... ive been in deep working in the past few weeks sorting everything out on hooch to figure out its new operating mode ...and havnt posted on it as Im in the middle of all this and im trying everything to tame this beast ....

as for trike im doing or hope to do a final drive change ....to give the trike the same gearing as hooch ....and then pretty much stock 1200 from there will be the best for this trike ...nothing shabby about a 1200 with stock set up ... carbs are smooth as silk ... ask V his is running nice and he wont stay off it

with the finaldrive gearing change this trike will be sweet and never under powered for its size ... super load reducer for clutch and drive trane and this trike will be sweet .....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93740#p93740:1qeqfm9a said:
joedrum » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:10 am[/url]":1qeqfm9a]
...nothing shabby about a 1200 with stock set up ... carbs are smooth as silk ... ask V his is running nice and he wont stay off it

It sure is nice!! During the Meet, I was half tempted to swap my fairing and bags over onto that 1200 while you guys were sleeping....except......you guys never went to sleep!! (I'm sure V wouldn't have noticed the '82 standard versus the 1200! :hihihi: )

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93752#p93752:353ufsq2 said:
mcgovern61 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:11 am[/url]":353ufsq2]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93740#p93740:353ufsq2 said:
joedrum » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:10 am[/url]":353ufsq2]
...nothing shabby about a 1200 with stock set up ... carbs are smooth as silk ... ask V his is running nice and he wont stay off it

It sure is nice!! During the Meet, I was half tempted to swap my fairing and bags over onto that 1200 while you guys were sleeping....except......you guys never went to sleep!! (I'm sure V wouldn't have noticed the '82 standard versus the 1200! :hihihi: )
If it was the same color I might not notice. But then there a lot of electronics there too. Those I would notice.

Nice Looking Trike!

I wonder how the ride is? I am sure it will be better, once you have done your magic touch to it.

What rear end were you going to swap to.

early 1100?

or 1000?

lower gearing(higher numerically)?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94443#p94443:1um3iiuy said:
joedrum » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:46 pm[/url]":1um3iiuy]
with 1000 were trying it will match load I think great with this set up ... but first just going to get it going and see what it has

What is that going to do for that "darkside" rear?

I have been doing some research into this as I have been thinking about this as well for a reverse trike project.

I have found a Kumho 165/80-15 CT on a '84 GL1200A, that someone was able to mount it using 80psi and out in the HOT sun for an hour.

From what I have read the 1200 has a weird lip that can be removed, on the GL1200 rear rim, and the car tire choice's make it a little more of a challenge

But Joe, I am sure you can do it, and will figure something out.

I see that some guy's are converting GL1200 to a GL1500 swing arm, and final drive, as more car tires are available for the 1500 rim, and it doesn't have that weird ridge on the rim.

GL1200 15" Rim
GL1500 16" Rim

From what I have read, the GL1500 Rear swing arm, is a little wider inside, and can accommodate a slightly wider rear tire.

sheesh westgl this is just more of the BS things out there ....a man with smart hands and a wheel mounted so it can be spund can fix that in about a minute or two.... just more of the paper title people bs of reality ...to the 100%

yes tire selection is greater ... but there are still many bugs out there that need tires ... I have wants to to do the same with 1500 swing arm but its to exspensive for me to get all that's required ... plus it misalines the back tire from front ...I didn't like that either ... people talk like that don't matter ... common sense tells me otherwise ... im not into adding that kind of stress on bike or trike ... ido have a 1100 swingarm moded to accept bigger tire and brake caliper arm mod to get rid of it running by the tire .... I have not yet come across a suitable wheel to be moded to the comstar wheel to get wider rim like I want ... this is where im at on this ....my 79 1000 mongrel bike I rode for yrs with a 1100 swingarm fitted to it ... but the rim mod has never happen yet ....

It's the stock 15" rim from the original 1200I bike. It was next to impossible to mount that Firestone tire. I had to take it to two tire shops to get the tire installed, and the first place exploded the first tire.....blew the side wall right out! Then I took it to a bike shop for ballensing. When the sidewall blew, it took out a big chunk of the rim with it, and hurt the guy that was doing it.
The tire rubbed on the drive shaft housing, so we heated the tube in that one spot and smooked it with a hammer. Just put a small dent in it, but enough so the tire would not rub the tube any longer. However, the driveshaft does rub the inside of that dent just ever so slightly.

Mark