New C5 M Series $449.95!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130866#p130866:3rk0bly2 said:
wilcoy02 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:39 am[/url]":3rk0bly2]
I know my carbs need looked at.
I want to understand this c5. So that is why I asked the question.
When people ask me about my c5 I want to be able to explain it. If I don't understand it I can't explain it.
Agreed, ask away!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130866#p130866:36mlpphs said:
wilcoy02 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:39 pm[/url]":36mlpphs]
I know my carbs need looked at.
I want to understand this c5. So that is why I asked the question.
When people ask me about my c5 I want to be able to explain it. If I don't understand it I can't explain it.

I was not trying to brush off your question but to fully explain saturation and how it can be adjusted, we should start a new thread. I will end up being a long one!
This week I am gone most of the time but would be thrilled to add this to one of the existing threads for C5. Would that be ok with everyone?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130888#p130888:1dmwu2m5 said:
wilcoy02 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:22 am[/url]":1dmwu2m5]
Please do.

Also please explain these curves and what they do.

I think if you just read Brianpa's ride report and you will be able to get a real world idea of the advantage of a selectable advance curve :yes:

viewtopic.php?p=125499#p125499

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130888#p130888:ud6im5a9 said:
wilcoy02 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:22 pm[/url]":ud6im5a9]
Please do.

Also please explain these curves and what they do.

Paul has already posted some answers here on the forum and since he's real busy this week I'm posting the links.

This thread is a good start.... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6651

And another: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6722

At his website he also explains much of the operation..... https://www.c5ignitions.com/c5-technology.html

And some video's I made at the meet has a lot of details.
These video's are long but worth the time to watch them because Paul explains what the curves do and why.....

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Jic0-ZcSY&list=UUJucnCucGrkDIdCqdPTCqbQ[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdCyfog2sPI&list=UUJucnCucGrkDIdCqdPTCqbQ[/video]

Thanks Dan and everyone for helping me out as I run around like a crazy guy. Instead of sleeping I stopped by to say hello but nobody was up at 1:00am...bummer.

To explain our timing curve, first you must understand what "Timing" really means. Sorry this is a long post but you must understand a few things.

To keep any engine running you need to ignite the fuel so as it burns, the cylinder reaches maximum pressure around 14 degrees After Top Dead Center (ATDC) for maximum leverage on the crankshaft. Too soon=detonation, too late=lost power and poor running.

Mechanical Points:
As rpm increases, you need to "light the fire" sooner, so the max pressure continues to occur at the correct spot (about 14 degrees ATDC)
The lobe that opens and closes your points rotates on a steel post. Timing advancer weights overcome spring tension as your engine revs up so the timing advances in a primitive "curve". If you test these, most likely you find there is no curve at all. It moves from base timing directly to max timing...BAMMM.....from 16 to 38 instantly. The limitations of mechanical advancer parts also prevent optimum timing at engine start up. Too much advance at start up causes kickback (like a Harley or British bike). Remember this system was first introduced on the 1910 Cadillac and has not changed much since then.

Electronic ignitions:

Dyna, Boyer, and most other ignition companies use a simple electric trigger to replace the points and still use the stock timing advancer to change the timing of the spark

Why? It's cheap. Is it the best way? Not at all.
Instead of relying on old crusty sticky advancer parts, where many times the springs are no longer strong enough to provide any accurate timing curve, we use RPM BASED timing. Modern automobiles and motorcycles also use this method for the same reason.

The encoder tracks rotation many times per revolution and accurately calculates rpm changes. Based on the rpm and timing map the microprocessor fires the coil at the correct time. It is far more accurate, consistent, and adjustable than ANY mechanical springs and weights ever were...no matter what someone on a forum might tell you.

Accurate Timing = Reliability & Performance (just like a perfect set of carburetors)

So the next time someone tells you they use a "________" ignition, ask to see the timing curve and find out how it is controlled, how many times per revolution it tracks changes, if you can make changes to the timing curve, and how many times in each compression stroke does the coil fire? It could also be fun to ask where it is manufactured.

Now view the timing curve and understand that it clearly shows timing advance gently increases to match engine rpm.
Simple yet so difficult to accomplish.

Attachments

• curve dots.jpg
    curve dots.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 138
I would like to add that once again, where else do you get the Owner of the company walking you through their product and how to use it? The video of setting up Hooch is a great example of the one on one service we have received from Paul at C5!
:thanks: :clapping:

(I would love to have a similar opportunity with any other vendor or any other vendor product with this type of detail and hands on engineering....but I doubt that will happen.....) :hi:

Yep, ask a question and it will be answered.
The way a business should be run.

The very concept of this ignition can be hard to understand because it's like none other we are used to dealing with.
Conventional ignitions are set one way with no options.
It is a whole new era of choice being able to actually change this for performance improvements.
Paul does a pretty good job explaining it.
Even with the many hours him and I have talked on the phone, I still find it takes me some time reading and rereading for the information to sink in because it is so different.

On the Install page at c5ignitions.com Paul has a couple good video's also.
Video 2 shows reprogramming the ignition and in his narration he explains why you would want to do this.
Maybe not exactly what was asked here earlier but this gives some real insight into the ignition's capabilities.

(scroll page down to the Youtube video's)
https://www.c5ignitions.com/install-guides.html

well it starting to seem that anyone that has a budget is going to the c5 as one of the main deals to bringing back a top knotch oldwing ... was looking at a superb build on ngw that one was building for there dad and c5 was one of the first things mention in thread ... the work was absolutely done with skilled hands ... so if you want top knotch oldwing .....c5 will be there

and now that it hides in stock iggy housing even the purest will be getting them :mrgreen:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131195#p131195:32jljjby said:
joedrum » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:38 am[/url]":32jljjby]
well it starting to seem that anyone that has a budget is going to the c5 as one of the main deals to bringing back a top knotch oldwing ... was looking at a superb build on ngw that one was building for there dad and c5 was one of the first things mention in thread ... the work was absolutely done with skilled hands ... so if you want top knotch oldwing .....c5 will be there

and now that it hides in stock iggy housing even the purest will be getting them :mrgreen:

Thanks Joe. If it wasn't for the support of this forum, there would not be any Goldwing kits. Two years ago I was frustrated and disappointed that the forum I used to spread the word told me to be quiet about our products. Our products could not possibly provide the improvements I had described and the C5 Performance Goldwing kit was too expensive...nobody will buy it anyway.

We actually had decided that the Goldwing kit would not be sold beyond the parts inventory we had at the time.

Luckily Dan Filipi from this forum called me. That was an important day in Goldwing history because our conversation completely changed the business plan. Dan assured us that our kit was a good thing, and we had just visited the wrong forums to discuss our technology.

Not only did we keep moving forward with the second generation GL1000 kit, we also designed the 1100 kit with this forums help, and have pushed into GL1200 & GL1500 testing as well.

Here we are two years later...working on the THIRD version of the Goldwing kit. Slowly we are becoming known in the Wing community and classic Wing owners now have another option for ignition upgrades.

I've included a picture of all three versions so you can see the progression to a smaller ignition.

Attachments

• LG FRONT.jpg
    LG FRONT.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 162
  • gl1000.jpg
    gl1000.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Gen 1.jpg
    Gen 1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 159
Yeah I could never understand why anyone would suppress technology.
Think where we'd be without computers and internet, forums like this wouldn't even exist.
Same with advancements in engine technology.
Think where we'd be in air quality if emissions technology was suppressed.
It's been very hot with calm air here. When I was growing up the air quality would have been so bad you couldn't breath and there are millions more cars on the road today, the air is clear and I can see the mountains!

Technology and change is a good thing most times just like the C5.
There is no need to be afraid of it.

I'm not askeerd....I'm just poor.... :crying:
:smilie_happy:
From my viewpoint as an automotive guy, I can see the advantages of the C5 set-up over the other products out there. Programmable ignition system w/multi-spark capability, vs. stock, or Dyna w/limited advance, one spark per firing. I am old enough to remember when Chrysler came out with their "CD"(capacitive discharge) ignitions, and they were killer....while the module lasted, which usually wasn't very long. Point is, that was space-age tech back then....no-body understood it, but we all knew it worked.
I would love to have an better iggy system, but, mine runs fine(for now) for how I ride, and besides....I can buy 5 tires for the price of the C5 system....and ya'll KNOW how I am on tires.... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Not that the C5 isn't worth the $$$$, as many here can attest that it IS....it's just not in the budget for me...YET.... :whistling:

Mine is on order. Well my first is. Gotta budget a few more in time. It sure would be nice to have one in my old motorhome.

we are going to the US in a few weeks, or i would have the newer version that fits in the stock housing on order. but i will get one. :music: i have one in my 75 and it is brilliant.
in fact, i will buy a new module for my 75 if i can, so it will fit in the stock housing. i like the stock look. just got to get this trip out of the way . :fishin:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131214#p131214:1x665ctu said:
aussiegold » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:02 pm[/url]":1x665ctu]
we are going to the US in a few weeks, or i would have the newer version that fits in the stock housing on order. but i will get one. :music: i have one in my 75 and it is brilliant.
in fact, i will buy a new module for my 75 if i can, so it will fit in the stock housing. i like the stock look. just got to get this trip out of the way . :fishin:

Any chance you will visit the Midwest area of our country? I'd love to meet you in person.

I have not regretted putting the c5 on my bike. It was very cool to meet the owner of this great technology for these old wings. I am glad you decided to keep at it on the wings so a lot more owners of these old bikes can have these great innovations.

Latest posts