New guy in Buffalo, NY

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I stuck with it today and made some progress. I wish I had taken some pics of the sandblasting tent over the back half of the bike after going at it with a wire wheel for about 2 hours. While waiting for paint to dry, I took a look at the valve adjustments and the future looks bright indeed. All the settings but one were way loose and one was way tight so I know it will run even better the next time it runs.

Attachments

• IMG_4177small.jpg
    IMG_4177small.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4174small.jpg
    IMG_4174small.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 102
Somedays the sandblaster is my best friend, so much quicker than chemical stripping for a total job.

Now I just need to get more paint, but quickly before it starts to rust again

Attachments

• IMG_4171small.jpg
    IMG_4171small.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4197small.jpg
    IMG_4197small.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 83
Sometimes those sandblasters seem like miracle tools. The results are so drastic. With the humidity we have here lately though I'd need to do it again after the store run for paint.

You are prophetic, I was wondering if it would stay ok until tonight when I could paint it. Alas, I have to touch it up before applying any paint, it started to rust in the closed up booth overnight.

I haven't cleaned the insides of the tank yet. When I poured out the gas in it, there was a small amount of gunk in the last 1/2 cup full and the insides don't look too bad. I've read about the "works" toilet cleaner and I think I'll try that method. In the mean time here is what the painted tank looks like now after sandblasting again and then painting right away. Of course mother nature thought high humidity would be a nice gesture so the paint has a cloudy greyness to it instead of gloss engine black!?!?!? :head bang: :fiddle: The rear wheel however came out pretty good. I used the old tire as masking for the bead surface cause I have no intention of riding on it again. I'll decide later if it gets any detail work such as a bright rim or red spoke faces. For now I just want to get it rideable and reliable, then I can spend time on beautification. I won't be able to work on it for about two weeks so that will give the paint some drying time before having the tire installed.

Question....what is a good way to treat badly rusted chrome luggage racks so they don't look quite so bad? sandblast and paint? Time and money are a factor here extreme beauty is not the goal.

Attachments

• wingtank small.jpg
    wingtank small.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 148
  • rear wheelsmall.jpg
    rear wheelsmall.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 156
It's so fine it doesn't appear to but it will yank the rust off pretty quick. I've used it every piece of chrome on this project, for really bad pitted spots I put naval jelly on those spots to stop the rust and then I go over it all will the same turtle wax polish and rust removal your using.
IMG02089-20130624-1338.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=86737#p86737:2kpz7g8n said:
dan filipi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:09 am[/url]":2kpz7g8n]I've been using Turtle wax chrome polish and rust removal.
It's done pretty good.

Curious, wouldn't anything abrasive like steel wool leave scratches?
I used steel wool with chrome polish and it works like a champ! The chrome is tougher than you think and fine steel wool actually polishes real well.