new guy with old honda

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slabghost, you might have been right that i streched the springs too far, fired it up last eveing and now it will idle but #1 is'nt fireing and i have a lot of backfireing thru the exhaust. Looks like i try again. going back to Hobbs cycle to see if he has any good springs avaliable. Anyone in my area that needs older wing parts or work this guy has a huge inventory of used parts and a barn full of parts bikes, last time i was there the bikes are literaly spilling out of his building. He is also very knowledgable on the wings. He has a 76 gl1000 ltd with '6' origanal miles.

I got this from a discussion at NGW.
In the discussion though there was some question if these numbers were correct but they should give you a good starting point of reference.

image.php

The spring at the first of the bunch is the ones that are in the 1977 G l 1000 at least this the ones that were in my bike. You should check the valve on top of the motor that keeps the bike from back firing when backing off the engine. It is supposed to have 4 O seals in it. Robber O rings. I was getting a hesitation when turning on the throttle rather quickly. I took it apart and found out it only had 3. I added the 4th and got a big change in the bokewhen I turned on the thrittle. NO HESITATION.
Well I have to go get ready to go to the hospital to see my wife. Took her in last night. Had verry LOW blood presher and High sugar count. :rant: :moped: :moped:

If the blue bike is yours, has it been painted that color[? That is about the color that my 1975 CB750 was. Let us know how you make out with the new springs. You have a number on the carbs . the # I think tells you what year and what size the carbs are. Get the # and go to the honda shop and have them match the # for the year and size carbs you have. They have a fish diagram of every part on the bike :Doh2: :moped: :moped: :moped: /size]

If you are not sure of the spring size Randaka has the number for the year . sometimes the manu changes things up a little, like in the middle of the year. That guy with the wing with 06 or so miles on it , Isure hope he isn't parting it out. Also the other co with the electronic ignition said he has a friend with a lot of wing parts and bikes.

:cool: :moped: :moped:

Shoooooooooooooo I sure am glad of that. That would have been a waste of a good bike. My bike is a 1977 and it only has 45000 miles on it . I never get time to ride on it. I am either going to the hospital, Doctor or it's bad weather and I cant ride it. I thought I could ride it here in WVa but that thought went by the waysie with my wife going to the hospital at least 3 times in a mont. Oh well I gues it goes with getting old. Just like sex, the mind is thair but that is all. Keep us bike riders up on what is going on. I noticed in some of the pics that you have a couple other bikes or is that a nabors shed? :music: :moped: :moped:

That one of my shed, got a couple project bikes and an old antique tractor in there. have an 81 cb 900C project to get running and flip a 81 suzuki im getting running for a friend adn my 72 350 bobber :builder: :builder: :builder:

Yeah always have more projects than time and money. I have another shed thats my work shop. I have my 72 cb750 cafe, cb450 cafe project, and a xs 650 bobber project in there, along with the wing

took the carbs back off the wing last night, i'm getting good at that only 20 mins. going tomorrow to get springs then hopfully get them back on wed evening.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96582#p96582:v28ffn7a said:
oldhondajamie » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:58 am[/url]":v28ffn7a]
Thank you all for the warm welcoming! I have a couple issues to deal with on this bike first a carb rebuild. It doesnt have any power unless the choke is half way out, i pulled and cleaned the carbs (they were dirty) Checked timing ( it has electronic ignition) adjusted vavles and sycronized the carbs still needs choke. So i'm assuming i have a vacum leak some where. Looking at the master kit from Randaks, anyone have feedback on their kits? Thanks

I used the master kit from randakk with great success. Was first carb job ever and i was able to do it right on the first try. Highly reccomended

I used the Randdak kit also but couldn't get the sync right, couple weeks ago found I had a broken exhaust valve in #1 cylinder. Did a repair on that had carbs ultrasonic cleaned and set by very reputable local shop, now I have an issue of not being able to keep low idle wants to run up to 2500 rpm and not come back down as soon as I touch the throttle. Taking it to the shop that set up the carbs, said he might have gotten the sync wrong. Any way hope he gets it sorted out I wanna ride and have a long group ride coming up end of the Month. :beg: