new guy with old honda

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
recived rebuild kits from Randakks yesterday, pulled carbs and dissassembled for rebuild, found i lost the main jet emulsion tube when i cleaned them :doh: , could not find it any where! :head bang: luckly i have a great goldwing mechanic near me ,called this morning and he has one for me. also have three bowl screws striped out will install helicoils today. hope all else goes well. will let you all know how it turns out.

Ok installed the kits and missing emulsion tube, new vacum lines and fuel line, put carbs back on bike, stared right up. runs very smoth but cant seem to get it to idle proper , either to high or so low it shuts off. took it up the road has good power no flat spots except at low rpm , below 2500 rpm. have not put the mercury manometer on it yet though. over all cant complain it runs with out choke and is smooth above 2500 rpm. guess i have to mess with it a little.. How many turns out should the air/ fuel mixture screws be , im at 3 1/2 turns. seems good, nice color on the plugs. any input on these issues would be appreciated. :thanks:

According to the Honda manual, the initial setting for a '77 is 2.5 turns from lightly seated. The manual is available as pdf download in several places. I recommend it.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

The manuel I had said the carbs were set at 3 and 1/2 turns from dead shut, but nor a hard stop. In other words don't crank them in tight . :moped:

just replaced choke cable that broke last week now i can sync carb when i get the time, hopefully soon running out of good riding weather. though i ride year round as long as there is no snow, just not as comfortable.

I know what you mean about NOT having time to work on the bike. I haven't had time to put new plugs in the bike or even wipe it off. It seems as though I am either taking care of my wife or going to the doctors or the hospital. The season is getting colder around here in Huntington W. V. My wife said I could go and work on the bike the other day, and by the time I got ready to do so it was too late to do anything. So I sat and thought of things I had to do to the bike before winter sets in. Shoooooooooooo it seems as though the list is getting longer or I am getting more tired. I bought a cover for the bike last year, it has faded real bad from the sun. I went to take it off the other day and it ripped going over the mirror. I went to find my warrenty, that was for 2 years , and wouldnt you know it I couldn't find it. I went back to the place where I bought it to see if he could pull it out of his computer. He couldn't. He said if I had the warrenty he would give me another one. That seems like my luck is running true, mostly bad. OH WELL :moped: :moped: :moped:

I am still running the ORIGINAT cables that came with the bike. I did purchase a new Clutch cable that I carry with me just in case. I did purchase a CABLE luber to lube the cables, once in a while. :moped: :moped:

I'm not to far north of you in hanover PA. winter seems to be coming early this year. My bikes have a roof over them and i work in a 10 x 20 shed, my 72 cb750 cafe (my baby) and the wing stay in the shed too.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97794#p97794:2kcvq07m said:
oldhondajamie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:09 pm[/url]":2kcvq07m]
cant seem to get it to idle proper , either to high or so low it shuts off. took it up the road has good power no flat spots except at low rpm , below 2500 rpm.
That points to the carb sync being out. Did you do a dry sync before putting back on the bike after rebuild? It is basically a way to get all of the butterflys the same before installing on bike to at least have a good starting point. Obviously, a carb sync would work too.

Yes you are rite. Winter is coming sooner than we think' I had a 750 super sport , and I got hit by a car. I was hit on the right side when a 17year old kid pulled out in front of me. He pulled over to the right and made a Left turn rite in front of me. I laid it down and slid into him . The right side of the bike struck the left side of the car turning on the gas. The left bumper cought my leg at the shin bone and the bike gas tank was pushed into the frame by my knee. I fixed it up after I got out of the Hospital and rode it for another 6 months or so. I sold it and bought the Wing, in 1977. I still ride the wing whenever I can. My bike is at my sisters house now under a car port covered up. If I had known of the GWRRA when it started I would have joined. I belong to the club now and really love it. Sorry I rambled on so long. My leggs are hurting a little and I can't sleep. I took some meds to calm them down. I think I will try it again to get some sleep Thanks for the come back . :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped:

finally got my home pc working proper now I can post some pics also uploaded to my gallery.
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG

got some time to synch the carbs today. got it running smoother but still cant seem to get it to idle proper, better than before but not right. I can get it to idle at 1000rpm but as soon as you give it some throttle it stays up at 2500 and wont go down unless I put it in gear and bring it down with the clutch. :headscratch: then ran out of gas on test ride :doh: oh yeah gas gauge doesn't work

I`m kinda new to the goldwings but when I rebuilt my carbs I noticed some aluminum oxidizing in the slides vacuum chamber(the carb caps) I cleaned them out very well with some never dull wading polish and made sure the piston moved freely by turning the caps upside down and putting in the spring and piston then tapping the piston down and letting it rise even with the edge on it`s own, did that with all 4 till I achived the same action from each one..
Maybe you have sticking slides.

pulled the tops off the carbs found the springs will barely hold the pistons off the cap when upside down. Obviously the springs are weak, I stretched the spring so each one holds the piston level with the edge of the cap put it all back together and will test it tomorrow when I can get some fuel. Hoping for the best, :beg: but will try to aquire some good spring asap.

That should help it run much better. Although you might have them stretched a little far. Not having ever seen "new" springs holding up a slide I really don't know. You may have them just right. I look forward to your ride report.