New Member '78 GL1000 only 22k , oops 77

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the welcomes!
Quick question, what is normal amount of smoke on start up? Today I started her up and there was a lot of smoke, more than I thought would be normal. Learning a lot about this bike, but lots to learn yet. Thanks,

What color is the smoke and does it go away after warm up. White can be condensation or coolant or in some cases raw gas. Blue smoke is oil burning. Black smoke is a rich burn. Do you turn off the fuel valve before shut down? Do you keep it on the center or side stand?

slabghost":2d2j4aa8 said:
What color is the smoke and does it go away after warm up. White can be condensation or coolant or in some cases raw gas. Blue smoke is oil burning. Black smoke is a rich burn. Do you turn off the fuel valve before shut down? Do you keep it on the center or side stand?

Smoke is white and does seem to lessen after time, but it was like 7 full minutes this morning and more smoke than the previous two times I've started it up (I'm barely getting familiar with her). I've got it on the center stand now, but it wasn't, and I didn't have the fuel off (but it is now). What other measures should I take to ensure it isn't head gasket?

Watch the oil in the crankcase for signs of coolant and the coolant reservoir for signs of oil. Check your plugs and see if they all look the same. If one looks newer than the rest it could have been "steam cleaned" Pretty sure sign the head gasket needs replaced.

As Slab said, and a leak-down test could confirm its likeliness. The nose will tell you too. Walk back and give a sniff of the smoke, but a ways back. It has a sweetish smell, different than oil. Best explanation I've heard for the infamous mosquito fogger start up on Goldwing is that sooner or later the piston ring edges all align on the bottom and residual oil left on the cylinder walls finds its way into the combustion chamber by gravity. This can be worse when left on the side stand. I have made it a habit to turn the bike off sitting upright, take off helmet and gear, then lean the bike right as far as you dare for a few seconds. The hot oil in the left cylinders will quickly run to the crankcase. Then put the bike on the side stand to the left and it will drain the right cylinders. As long as I do this, it doesn't smoke. Oil should smoke a little bluer than coolant.

If it was a cool morning, it may be a cause of the longer "smoke" at startup too. Replacing head gaskets isn't too bad on these and might give you peace of mind on trips.

Okay, I followed you all's guidance. Got the bike in the center stand, turned the fuel off and that's the way the bike sat all last night. https://vimeo.com/110721171I started her up this morning and almost no smoke and what smoke there was quickly dissipated. I attached a very short time-lapse vid so you can see what I saw (if it the attachment works).

Thanks again for the tips! I'm getting ready to do the timing belts, maybe I'll do the head-gaskets at the same time, just so I know what and when was done. Is that the right approach on these bikes or should I leave those head-gaskets well alone?

I would follow Joe's advice and try and get some miles under its belt before you start pulling heads etc. The Rats Nest didn't run for 13 years and it still has its original head gaskets. :yes:

Well me I'd retorque the head bolts.
Reason I say this is this 1200 engine I bought used with unknown history I got almost a full turn on every head bolt.
I've been running it hard and head gaskets are sealing good.
I plan now to retorque them at least once a year.
Will this prevent blowing them?
I don't know but it's a lot easier than changing them as long as it lasts.

Seems it's okay for now. Are you using ATF in the fuel? If not I suggest you do. Plenty of benefits and only the chance of a little more smoke at start up.

i think your ok thats oil in the muffler burning off ...as with anything unknown be quite easy on it .. and keep it on center stand ... i not sure what noise is twice in the video ..i am thinking it wasnt bike ....another thing to look at is oil in motor is it over full ...if it is see if it smells gassy ... carbs migght be leaking gas in cylinders and down into oil... also just tap starter first for awhile till you are sure its not leaking gas in cylinders dont want to hurt the motor banging a full cylinder of gas on compression stroke ... not trying to scare you ...just be cautious till you get to know the bike condition completely ...atf in fuel is good thing to do ..5 to 8 oz per tank

Latest posts