New member and sooooooo much to learn!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weightlifter99

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joined a few weeks ago and have been spending HOURS catching up threads from here about needed repairs for my 82 Interstate. I traded a Kia Sportage for this bike last summer and managed to get it home (about 60 miles with a full tank of gas) but about 10 miles from my house it died. "Oh chit....what have I done? " I asked myself...got to looking and ...OUT OF GAS! What? 50 miles on a full tank and now I'm empty? WTF!!!????
After further inspections....stock carbs are leaking and need rebuilding. SHOCKER! My gauges work occasionally when they want to my rear brakes work for awhile before trying to drag (get hot) my front and rear stock air assisted forks and shocks wont hold air so needless to say it won't even come close to accepting an invitation from the center stand. ( have to use floor jack and "persuade" the bike to hop up on the stand )
But! other than these common problems my newly found joy has it was FREAKIN FANTASTIC to get back on a bike after 21 years of riding depravity!
Reading through these threads I have since got my Langdon carb, type 4 intake plenum, 1 1/2 grab bars, 2 to 1 Langdon carb adaptor, fuel hose for gas tank, big block Chevy w/p gaskets and am currently in the process of bringing my new found joy back to life.
The info I got from you guys on your trials and errors and on this conversion has been so great for me I can't sing enuff praises for you all.
7 volt converter, external alternator, shocks and forks springs/seals rebuild all in the near future.
I just want to take this opportunity to say a big THANKS GUYS for all the info you have supplied to this ole geezer!

welcome to classic ... most of your problems are typical of neglected bike ....the single carb deal is great move ...need to get set up and do a thread on that and the restore of the bike ... the collective thoughts on here while project is going on and pics ...makes for a huge input of thoughts along the way ...sure does make things much easier for me ....
sounds like you bought into shovelking set up with 1 1/2" grab bars ... i finished my set up up that way too ...and for sure have no regrets ...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121154#p121154:zg6yzbwq said:
weightlifter99 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:19 am[/url]":zg6yzbwq]
Joined a few weeks ago and have been spending HOURS catching up threads from here about needed repairs for my 82 Interstate. I traded a Kia Sportage for this bike last summer and managed to get it home (about 60 miles with a full tank of gas) but about 10 miles from my house it died. "Oh chit....what have I done? " I asked myself...got to looking and ...OUT OF GAS! What? 50 miles on a full tank and now I'm empty? WTF!!!????
After further inspections....stock carbs are leaking and need rebuilding. SHOCKER! My gauges work occasionally when they want to my rear brakes work for awhile before trying to drag (get hot) my front and rear stock air assisted forks and shocks wont hold air so needless to say it won't even come close to accepting an invitation from the center stand. ( have to use floor jack and "persuade" the bike to hop up on the stand )
But! other than these common problems my newly found joy has it was FREAKIN FANTASTIC to get back on a bike after 21 years of riding depravity!
Reading through these threads I have since got my Langdon carb, type 4 intake plenum, 1 1/2 grab bars, 2 to 1 Langdon carb adaptor, fuel hose for gas tank, big block Chevy w/p gaskets and am currently in the process of bringing my new found joy back to life.
The info I got from you guys on your trials and errors and on this conversion has been so great for me I can't sing enuff praises for you all.
7 volt converter, external alternator, shocks and forks springs/seals rebuild all in the near future.
I just want to take this opportunity to say a big THANKS GUYS for all the info you have supplied to this ole geezer!
Dan is going to love this post! THIS is why he started Classicgoldwings,com.

Welcome from North TEXAS DFW area.... congrats on the new "make it yours" project.. lol.... if rear brakes are locking up then your fronts may also.. there is a small return hike in the masters that gets plugged and causes this so when you do the work on the brakes make sure you give this spot some attention.... the hole fills up and sets HARD.... making cleaning of it extremely difficult... again welcome.. and can't wait to assist you in your rebuild/restore thread..

Well thanks for the warmest of melcomes guys! DusterDude and Ansip, Brininpa you are correct as HE GOT SCREWED!!! LOL! (oh and I am a prior Navy guy myself) Wilcoy I will post pics as the repairs progress. ( I am not the best at taking pics but I'll give it the ole Navy try!) Omegaman I agree with you as Dan's and Joe's posts and videos have been very inspiring and Jeep was telling me I may have probs with my front brakes as well. Is this from old age and neglect also?

Mainly age and from disuse... the rubber bleeds/flakes off and collects in these spots.. it is just that the bleed back hole allows fluid to be released from the calipers and turned to the master cylinder.. that process brings the gunk with it.... many people change/add fluid and bleed the brakes and are not aware of the return function... damhik... lol makes for amazing braking when the hole is clear.. and saves money as pads don't wear out as fast.. (being stuck against the caliper)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121168#p121168:14dgnutp said:
weightlifter99 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:51 am[/url]":14dgnutp]
Well thanks for the warmest of melcomes guys! DusterDude and Ansip, Brininpa you are correct as HE GOT SCREWED!!! LOL! (oh and I am a prior Navy guy myself) Wilcoy I will post pics as the repairs progress. ( I am not the best at taking pics but I'll give it the ole Navy try!) Omegaman I agree with you as Dan's and Joe's posts and videos have been very inspiring and Jeep was telling me I may have probs with my front brakes as well. Is this from old age and neglect also?
So glad your making good use of the info.
That's what it's all about.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

Note on the gas consumption.....if the carbs are leaking externally, the are also leaking into the engine!! Be careful and change that oil....it is most likely full of gas and it will wash out all of your engine bearings!

Yessir Steve the Goldwing outlasting the Kia is my thoughts also...poor guy (he-he). Although he had another Goldwing.an 86 I think and a 2012 H-D trike also so I doubt he'll miss this one. Couldn't have sold the Kia anyways due to the shape it was in. All the other guy said he was looking for was a 4 wheeler for a hunting vehicle. He most def got it!

Has everybody using the stainless steel grab rails had problems drilling the intake side holes in the flanges? Man thats some tough steel even if it is Chinese made! LOL! Any suggestions on best type of bits to use? Done burnt up three good ones on em! Using wd-40 as a lubricant but mostly getting just smoke at this point.

Latest posts