New shocks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomlind

Reaction score
I recently replaced the old, leaky air shocks on my GL1100 with a set of manually adjustable units from a low mileage 93 Vulcan 1500. Despite being a half inch longer, installation was a breeze, (about 1 hour) having only to change the rubber bushings in the shock ends. Was able to do the swap without removing my saddlebags too. :yahoo: that was a surprise..The ride is much improved, especially 2-up with the wife. I had thought about rebuilding the old units, but the "cost" of the Vulcan shocks over-ruled that (they were freebies, given to me for helping a fellow biker install progressives on his bike). I chose not to remove the filler for the old units because of the space issue and trying to get it out of the frame without losing a finger or two :smilie_happy: but did unhook the sensor wire for the underinflation light.
new.jpg

valve.jpg

My 81 has aftermarket air shocks with the pressure light wire disconnected which turns on the light as soon as I get over 20mph. Yours does not come on?

I've only had the bike a month, but even when the old shocks were installed, it didn't come on...it doesn't now either...I can only assume either the bulb is out or the sensor is bad. It isn't also hooked to the air in the forks, is it? My front end doesn't leak and I keep it at 18psi.

Low air light is not connected to the forks. If you have no light and a working speedometer the light is either burnt out or removed I guess.

tomlind":3veo3go7 said:
I've only had the bike a month, but even when the old shocks were installed, it didn't come on...it doesn't now either...I can only assume either the bulb is out or the sensor is bad. It isn't also hooked to the air in the forks, is it? My front end doesn't leak and I keep it at 18psi.

I thought the max psi on the front forks was 15? I have 0 in mine now, but might air 'em up to 5 or 10 psi, and hope they're not too stiff. Still have to figure something out for the rear shocks, the PO replaced the air shocks with what looks like Progressives. Harley makes a 12" version of their big twin air shocks, which I see every now and then on eBay. Might go that route...

good to know theres another cheap option also yamaha xs1100 shocks work good had them on for a while then rebuilt my stock shocks call me crazy but i really like them even when i pile all my gear for camping on

Considering the 1100 shocks are 30 year old technology its no wonder shocks from a newer model may perform better.
Also given the fact they are 30 years old the springs will sag.
Apple and I did extensive research on the 1100 shocks and found the 1983 shocks have stiffer springs so there's another option for an "upgrade".

I don't find any problems with the rear oem shocks performance at all even riding two up.After some time I do need to add some pressure at rear same as in front.But to me they perform very good and with the pressure pump compressor it seems easier to adjust for the ride depending on load added then manually.The draw back would be that without any air pressure the rear shocks do bottom all the way down :shock: .