Noob needs help starting a 1982 GL1100 A

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perfect! ATF in the gas and maybe a little seafoam and the carbs should clean up nicely. Do not use more seafoam than recommended on the bottle. A little too much ATF will make it smoke a little but cause no harm.

The vacuum slides might be slow responding, they don't like quick throttle twists especially if gummed up. Add to the gas like has been said and put miles on it. It's surprising how much these engines don't like sitting and run better with miles.

I would synchronize them carbs, that will make it run better and you will get more throttle response also. Then after you put some miles on it, with the help of your choice of fuel additive, i would recheck the sync after 500 miles or so.Then you should have a happy machine with starting and responding.

Will it still make the lugging/rattle sound in first gear? When I roll out the throttle in first gear, it almost seems/ acts like I'm in second instead of first?

Most of us have had to learn how high to rev and how slow to release the clutch on these bikes. Because we don't like that sound either. Try a little more rpm and release the clutch just a bit slower.

sound like you have a cylinder not firing or maybe 2 weak ones maybe due to clogged jets, they will run minus a cylinder but taking off is hard..do a plug check and see what its doing...sometimes a long stretch of highway will clean out jets,sometimes not...the rattle is the primary chain slapping around due to a cylinder or two not firing or not getting the proper amount of fuel.

Latest posts