Oil in my coolant

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnold

Reaction score
I removed the radiator to access the timing belts, and when I drained the antifreeze, there was about an ounce of oil that drained last. My radiator cap was oily also. How bad is this? I drained the oil and found no coolant mixed in it.
Arnold :shock:

not so good but it would be bad if coolant were in the oil. Need to find the trouble and fix it. One of mine is the same and I'm thinking the water pump is the trouble.

Thanks for the advice. It will be easier to replace the water pump than head gaskets (plus I won't have to remove the timing belts again).
Arnold :clapping:

Arnold":3sj69j8d said:
I removed the radiator to access the timing belts, and when I drained the antifreeze, there was about an ounce of oil that drained last. My radiator cap was oily also. How bad is this? I drained the oil and found no coolant mixed in it.
Arnold :shock:
I agree with the water pump. An aside.....my '81 engine kept putting oil into the expansion tank (couple ounces). Water pump was tight, but the seal may have been going. No prblems with the head gaskets and I ran that engine for about 8500 miles like that! It did have knocking at high RPM, but it always had knocking at high RPM. I swapped out the engine later, but that '81 was still running strong even with the oil showing up in the water and knocking at high RPM!