Opinion on clear windshield or fairing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auctioneeral

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gl1100
Kicking it around wheather to go with slipstream clear enterprise windshield or front fairing. I have fairing but needs painting and I need the lowers. Or should i go with clear windshield. Which I can pickup on sale for $150.
What are your opinions out there ?
What are your opinion on way bike looks with the rear trunk or should I go with matching trunk with saddlebags. I know Gerry wants to trade trunks.
What all do you think.

Attachments

• 20151126_113531.jpg
    20151126_113531.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 276
I have had both with a Vetter faring (Not the Hondaline one) on the bike and now just a windshield. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The faring does provide a bit more protection, but it also adds nearly 40 lbs of weight on the forks on a Standard. I went back to just a windshield mostly because I like the look of the open front end and I find my bike handles a bit more nimble now without the extra weight up there.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

the enterprise is a great windshield ....had a 79 with one ...it actually covers up top better than vetter or honda fairing ...i like your bike looks as is ..nice enterprise on it ..hardly is seen ..its all clear

I have both, and I prefer the fairing (Vetter) because I add or remove the lowers for when it is colder out. My trip to Florida started and ended in the cold with just the windscreen and I was longing for some lowers.

I have a Vetter and bought a set of lowers and find that there is less turbulence with the lowers on. I don't plan on taking them off when the warm weather returns. I have a radio pack that I might try again with the lowers. Without the lowers the radio gets drowned out at 50=60 mph. it has 3'' speakers which are a very limiting factor. Gonna stick with the Vetter.

I used a Plexifairing III on my naked '82 for the last 3 years. I liked it a lot; it provides very good wind protection...have ridden in the rain and never got wet. :good: But I always got some buffeting at the top of my helmet.

This fall I bought a Windjammer IV and I must say that it is much better. :good: :good: No buffeting at all. I don't have the lowers but, after reading what other say, I will keep my eyes out for some. As far as weight goes; the WJ and mount weigh about 30 lb, my Plexifairing plus the box of naked stuff I took off weighed about 14 lb so the WJ only added about 16 more pounds. And I like the look of the WJ on there too.

So my personal preference is the Windjammer.

Brian

With WJ

Plexifairing

well i must say ..vetter with lowers like mine are like full cover and nothing extra ...i wont change from that ..seems the honda stuff to most looks better ....but me i put on 1100 mirrors on hooch ...cut the shield down caause it was not clear enough ...and like it ...now to make look better and all the same color faring black and lowers are blue