Over heated in Texas

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not good, sorry to hear about that. If you was close enough, i've got an 84 gl1200 motor , with the heads still on it, i think it needs a good water pump with a good shaft, and possibly a left head. One of the bolt holes was stripped where the valve cover bolt went if my memory severs me well. The motor had great compression and i have had it running before, so i know it will run. You can't beat free. I don't need it.

Just to see how bad it is, I walked out into the hotel parking lot this evening and just cranked it over...

It started! So, I will get the old girl home and see what I come up with.

A friend of mine (Halfling over at North American GoldWings) is driving down from Tennessee on Thursday to pick me up. We were going to spend a couple of days on the road riding together so now it will be several hours driving together and then I will spend a few days with him and his family.

From there, my dad is driving down with his trailer to take me and the bike the rest of the way home. Not quite the vacation I wanted, but I still get to spend some time with my friends.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178530#p178530:27fyllum said:
slabghost » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:44 pm[/url]":27fyllum]
Here's a decent deal on a couple heads. I have a set of 78 cams here somewhere if you want them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Honda-GL11 ... dd&vxp=mtr

If I need to, I think I am going to be using the heads off of the 1200 motor that is the 1100 frame. Then the 1200 motor that is in the 1100 frame will be getting 1100 heads and 1000 cams... :shock:

I just need to come up with a proper name for that - Hooch has already been taken! :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178564#p178564:2z7cyd09 said:
skiri251 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:57 pm[/url]":2z7cyd09]
Good to know you got the best out of the situation.

So it's just too hot ambient temp and you pushed Oldwing too much?
Or something went bad?

Oh, there is a ticking sound coming from the front lower portion of the motor, so I am thinking that the water pump may have gone out and caused my problems. More will be determined when I get it home and opened up.

Glad to have suggested a possibility, :thank_you: sorry it had to be under these condition's. :head bang:

Just got in town and saw this Brian! I'm sorry to hear about that! If only the water pump you might get off better than heads. Was the gauge running real high for a while?

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Overheating is no fun no matter what you are driving/riding.

Hondas seem to operate hot no matter what. My so in-law had a CBR600 and it ran hot. He now has a 2014 Motto Guzzi California touring and it runs hot as well - air/oil cooled.

When you have the cooling system drained, possibly have the rad cleaned by a rad shop. Would remove a lot of scale build up and help with cooling all round.

Good Luck.

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178632#p178632:38upfgw6 said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:17 am[/url]":38upfgw6]
Just got in town and saw this Brian! I'm sorry to hear about that! If only the water pump you might get off better than heads. Was the gauge running real high for a while?

It was high for a few minutes and then I had steam out of the right tail pipe when I stopped under a freeway underpass. I shut it off and left it cool off for a while and the gage was normal. Started riding and for about 20 miles it was normal and then it pegged to HOT and then the motor was tapping/pinging. Now when I start it, I hear a ticking in the lower front of the motor.

So many possibilities...

Half the trip is done. Me and the bike are in the center of Tennessee. Nothing against the Texans that are members here, but I was glad to see Texas in the rear view as we entered Louisiana.

Latest posts