Paint A Wing the RATTLE CAN WAY

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NIce post. Hope I can find a place to load custom color out here. I can't find dodge toxic orange in duplicolor yet. I'll have to give that place a call after Irene blows through. Got time any way. Paint is winter busy work. Helps to take the mind off not being able to ride cuz of old man winter.

the Paint on my Goldwing is Spray can paint too. and yes..... it does very well..if you prep it right..and do it right. . . and take care of it after it's on the bike.

Wingerdave":16m25jv4 said:
Here we go then.......... The Grand Finale.

***A word of warning for anyone suffering from rheumatic fever, tennis elbow or a pitchers shoulder.... STOP. This next bit could put you out of action for a while***

You should now have a primed, painted and sanded (dulled) part ready for a final finish. If you look very carefully at the painted surface you may see something that looks like "orange-peel". It won't be the same as a bad paint job, just miniscule unsanded "dips". This is not a problem, that should all disappear when you're done.

Okay, for this next step I use a "scratch-remover". My product of choice is a paste called Commandant 3, but i'm sure there are other, equally good alternatives were you live.

Put some paste on i polishing cloth. I use a cloth made of recycled cotton, very soft.

Using some pressure start to polish the paste over the surface until it starts to leave the surface of it's own accord.

Check your work after wiping the piece down and see if it's up to standard. If it's nice and shiny put some "normal" polish on and have a beer. If it isn't let it cool down and try again.

It's best to begin with the smaller parts (rear fender, side panels, pannier lids) before doing the "big" stuff like fairings.

If it all came together and you didn't have too many beers (causing you to drop the bits on the floor, chipping paint and bringing forth a barrage of expletives that would make the Devil blush) then you should get something looking like this.......

024.jpg

025.jpg

032.jpg

036.jpg

040.jpg

042.jpg

Oh yeah, I did really repaint the logo's (with Revell enamel paint, then clear coated them. Hey, saved a couple of hundred bucks :grin: )

And thats about it, really. Just go for it. As with so many jobs, patience is key. Take your time and you'll have a finish like glass.

WITH A CAN, YOU CAN :grin:

Dave.
Nice paint job,Never seen an engine guard so nice looking like yours on a wing...I guess it must have gone on overseas models :good: .

:music: Dang! Really nice work! I had just gotten a quote of $750 to have my bike sprayed this winter, but, after reading this I may attempt a base coat/clear coat "rattle can special" my own durn self..... thanks for the write up!

im going to bump in here ,, nice paint job on her !! i have spray bombed several cars and trucks i have owned in the past and my wing is also painted out the can , i have had tons of appause after i painted it and after a couple crashes i am currantly repainting ( rattle can again ) . i used krylon from walmart

Attachments

• 09272011.jpg
    09272011.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 593
countryboy843":hmo2j8w1 said:
im going to bump in here ,, nice paint job on her !! i have spray bombed several cars and trucks i have owned in the past and my wing is also painted out the can , i have had tons of appause after i painted it and after a couple crashes i am currantly repainting ( rattle can again ) . i used krylon from walmart

Sweeeeeet :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

boy these 30 yr old dressers look super all painted back up...personaly i think they look better than the new stuff by far when brought to the same level of paint and all ...just great look

I just reread this - the results were, most definitely, professional quality :clapping:
It really does look like something that we all could do... after all winter is coming and, for most of us, that means a break in the riding season.

Hmmm.....what color to do???

Latest posts