Picking up a parts only 84 Interstate today

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s really hard to pin it down ...my motorvwas as quiet as one could be ....and then the head gaskits blew out ....so I was really disappointed in the head gaskets and tried copper head gaskets ...this turned into a nightmare and realization that the block and cylinder sleeves are not the same height...then I made the bad move to file the block down even with the sleeves ...the end result relization is that the head bolts were just no where near the pressure point of the sleeves that needed sealing ...the result was much higher compression and the motor would drain the carb blown almost instantly ....and it ran lean always ...I also think it needed premium gas now and it knocked ...I’m rather sure it needs a much higher fuel pump pressure to keep up with motor ....it got to where it would just shut down if I gave it any gas ...and had to be baby to ride it ...the knock it has seems mechanical...and just need to replace and start over ...a few times the bike would shut down and then come back .....and really pull the wheel off the ground ....last time it happen I was at a meet and greet and was trying out a different fuel pump but it was stock too ....by then it was getting obvious the motor was knocking ....I pretty much rode it home and park it .....just need a good lower end ...I blame myself for the problems ...the hooch bike was a well running bike best I’ve ever had ....but I screwed it up trying to use copper gaskets for the heads ....it ran on regular pump gas and could virtually never look bad running with other bikes out there ...many don’t believe the tales of hooch ..but that there problems not mine ...it’s no corner carver but inflat out power it would never look bad against bike half it’s weight ....I want that back and I can’t get there now even if I could get fixed what knocking as the block has been shave to make it a special gas bike always and there is no lower end parts thanks to Honda policy of abandonment of older bikes in support ...no knock onhonda most all companies now days do this ....but if you have a 47 farmall tractor you can buy every part for it ...LOL

That’s what I’m facing need a 1200 short block to fix what I screwed up on hooch :swoon:

Ran a compression check on the engine again. No cylinder has more than 100 psi and it won't start anymore. Looks like the rings have stuck to the pistons, so a tear-down this winter will be required.

Oh well another 1200 motor I ain’t going to get ....if it was me I would have pulled the heads first and cleaned before ever trying to start ....people do it all the time and think it’s the way to go ...but experience showed me it’s not a good move to do on a motor that’s has sat a long time ....there always a ridge on boxer motor that builds up big on the lower cylinders that makes this the wrong way to do it ....might be fine in stand up motors but not boxers the gamble is just to huge and no replacement parts makes even worse.....in my opinion ....

Latest posts