plans and upcoming issues

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrod

Reaction score
unfortunately its winter up here in Saskatchewan and with only an 8x12 garden shed for shelter its a little too cramped to work on bike like i want. i have started by getting seat off and sending to get custom recovered. Planning for spring however and things would like to work on. Most of my fairing on my 81 1100goldwing interstate is a little on the creaky side which is noticeable at highway speed. Also want to freshen up the paint on the fairing as well as all the plastic parts too match. Is there anything to look for or anything i can do upon re-assembly of everything to either tighten up the fairing or cut down the amount of creaking? i know its an old bike and there's going to be some noise but if i can freshen it up and have it sound good that would be a bonus. Also need to do the exhaust as i found out after i bought it that both sides were broken off at the bottom of the headers just before the cross-over pipe. Holding it all together currently with some 29gauge stainless steel and hose clamps. Was told they don't make factory exhaust for these anymore, so i am just keeping an eye out for a suitable but affordable option to replace it all with.

hmmmmm well in general you dont know what going on with bike till it is explored ...fairing issue will come clearer once dove into ... 1100 exhaust has no headers ..but might possible to make some from the no good exhaust maybe and connect from there ....

Mine creeks and twists also.
All the frame u clamps are tight but the bolts at the bottom into the side brackets are not. I think the plastic is damaged there. A place to start looking.

If the holes for the gussets holding the fairing pieces on are wallowed out, the plastics will move and creak. Build the holes back to OEM dimensions. Put a couple ounces of professional nail polish remover (100% acetone) in a wide mouth glass jar and dump several small pieces of black plastic in the jar. Cap the jar tightly and the acetone will melt the plastic into a gooey mess that can be used to fill holes and cracks in plastic covers and fairings. Once placed where you want it, the acetone evaporates into the air and leaves the patch material where it's needed. I wipe the area down with fresh acetone before I apply the patching material. Of course, you can also use black ABS glue to patch holes and cracks.

Thank you for suggestions . Definitely will be making use of all the advice. Was hoping to do something this week and get the bike out of the shed. But one thing that can't be predicted here in saskatchewan, mother nature! Snow was almost 3/4 gone and spring was announced on the calender. And then wake up one morning with a fresh dump of almost 6" of the white stuff. GRRRRR!!!! But i will keep checking back for more advice for when time comes and mother nature co operates and the bike makes its way out.