Possible Wing acquisition. . . project.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I like it! With all I have to do now though it would stand very little chance of life here. But for very little price I'd still bring it home.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199936#p199936:rjy1ypsz said:
desertrefugee » 51 minutes ago[/url]":rjy1ypsz]
You definitely have my respect because you're not intimidated by the prospect of some serious work.

One of the mechanics there claims that I'm insane. LOL!!!

My girlfriend (she's a keeper) says I need a project for me to "meditate" on. She knows I find peace in tinkering.

I think there's a possible project worth tackling with this bike, but we'll see if they have the keys and the title. . .

slabghost":rjy1ypsz said:
Personally I like it! With all I have to do now though it would stand very little chance of life here. But for very little price I'd still bring it home.

Yeah, you seem rather busy recently. . .

Definitely plenty of tinkering available, good luck with getting keys and title for a fair (cheap) price. :good:

It has surely been out in the weather for a long time. All of the rust you see on the outside will be just as bad underneath everything. BUT, I like the bike. If he could prove the motor turns over and has the title, it would be worth $200 (or less) at most for me to even consider. Without doing anything else, you are looking at least $2000 in parts, tires and paint for a running bike. But that sure could be a fun project!

I have been there:
image.php

and done that!
image.php

:shock: Wow, Gerry, looks like you did some really amazing work with that 1100! I can only hope that any experience I have with either this 1200 or the other one are nearly as good.

On a side note: Work says they will be taking an '85 Aspencade in on trade and they're determined to sell it to me. Supposedly it's a regular around-town rider. If it happens, I'll share pics ASAP.

Question to all you brilliant (and deviant) minds on here! Is there a way to temporarily bypass (see: hotwire) the ignition switch to check for signs of electrical life? The shop is searching for the key, but the owner (see: mouth-breathing moron) may have misplaced it. I don't want to take a basket-case home if it won't at least TRY to work in any way. I'm merely looking for proof of life at this moment. I saw keysets online (both NOS, used, and Aftermarket), however I don't want to waste my very valuable pennies for nothing. . .

:help:

On a side note, the carb arms move (very sluggishly), so at least they're not a seized mess that I can see.

Thoughts?

:thanks:

Take the ignition off and remove the key cylinder from the switch assembly at the bottom. Just use the switch.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200006#p200006:2nl6fv19 said:
slabghost » 1 minute ago[/url]":2nl6fv19]
Take the ignition off and remove the key cylinder from the switch assembly at the bottom. Just use the switch.

Is there a quick way to do that without taking the front of the bike apart? :read:

Not certain without the exact model. there should be a harness connector below the ignition switch too. From there you can jumper it but you'll need the correct wiring diagram to know which to connect.

Checked the OEM manual, it indicates that you can't get to the switch without doing some invasive work. You can always roll the engine over by jumping the starter solenoid.

Know you didn't want to hear this.

Good luck.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200011#p200011:4qw3fivm said:
Rednaxs60 » 26 minutes ago[/url]":4qw3fivm]
Checked the OEM manual, it indicates that you can't get to the switch without doing some invasive work. You can always roll the engine over by jumping the starter solenoid.

Know you didn't want to hear this.

Good luck.

Drat. Oh well, I'll take what I can get. . . now to locate the starter. . . :headscratch:

slabghost":4qw3fivm said:
Not certain without the exact model. there should be a harness connector below the ignition switch too. From there you can jumper it but you'll need the correct wiring diagram to know which to connect.

I'll check the forum for the diagram. . .

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200016#p200016:2eczjebd said:
Rednaxs60 » 8 minutes ago[/url]":2eczjebd]
Sit on the bike, right beside your left foot.

You rock, man, thanks! I looked up the repair manual on here, and it was a little fuzzy on location, so you just made it obvious! :thanks: :clapping: :rocks:

Daeouse, I have been out of contact for a little time, so did you or did you not bring home the Blue Wing. The last post I showed being the black and gray 1980 GL1100 is a true Frankenstein :shock: :shock: GL1100 for sure and I locate the why it stop starting. :help:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200072#p200072:3r4ek8xa said:
RuDogGL » Yesterday, 2:11 pm[/url]":3r4ek8xa]
Daeouse, I have been out of contact for a little time, so did you or did you not bring home the Blue Wing. The last post I showed being the black and gray 1980 GL1100 is a true Frankenstein :shock: :shock: GL1100 for sure and I locate the why it stop starting. :help:

It's coming home in the next week or so, If I can work out transport. It needs a few different things before I even begin the rebuild, so I'll begin a post when it arrives.

The GL1100 you got looked odd. . . are the pixies happy in the harness, or have they gone on strike?

Latest posts