Putting bike on center stand

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgervais

Reaction score
I read in here somewhere about having trouble getting the bike on the center stand and this may have been brought up before but the trick I use is a to drive the back wheel up on a short piece of 2x6, makes lifting it much easier. Hope this helps someone.

I forgot to mention I cut the leading edge of the board on a bevel. I read in the manual the bike is supposed to be on the center stand when adjusting the air pressure so I generally do that.

without the board make sure that both legs of the centerstand are touching the ground and put your weight on the centerstand pushing it down and the wing will roll onto the centerstand. it takes very little lifting with your arms. if i can get the 1500 wing on the centerstand i know you guys with 1000, 1100, 1200, and even 1800 wings can do it

The trick is to not try to lift the bike onto the stand! (That will really pull your back out!) Make sure the rear shocks have the right amount of air. Low on air, bike sits lower, twice as hard to get up on center stand. Detdrbuzzard is right...be sure both feet of the stand are touching before trying to put it up.

On mine, I put down the center stand with both feet touching, press my foot down on the stand and hold down for a momemt, pull up slightly on the seat while pulluing back on the bike and pressing down on the stand at the same time in one smooth movement. Gotta watch sometimes cause the bike gets moving real fast onto the stand and rocks abit!

He's a long winded feller, ain't he? (the guy in the vid) :popcorn:

Thass how I does mine, too....without all the dialog, tho. The point about having the proper amount of air in the shocks is pertinent, too. I have noticed mine is a bit tougher to roll up on the center if I have only 10psi in the rear shocks, compared to when I have 20psi....big difference.
The EASIEST way to get it on center is tp park it uphill....let the weight of the bike roll it back! :mrgreen: Of course, getting back down is a a pain....

What year GW is it in the vid?
I cannot get hold of the grab rail with mine (82 Aspy) so I grab the bumper(?) in front of the saddle bag.

Anyway, GWs center stand is really easy to use. I guess that long lever really helps. My XS750 is much more difficult.

Judging by the rims, I'd say the bike in the vid is an '80-'81.
I use the grab rail on mine. I noticed the guy in the vid decided to NOT show how having rear floorboards will ruin your day when putting it up on center. The first few times I put mine up after installing the rear boards, I almost cut my freeking leg off on the dang bracket for the boards!! Scraped about a 4" long section of skin off me shin!! :sensored: :rant: I have since learned how to get around the boards, but it does make it harder than it was without them.

:hi: Center handle bars-raise rider floor board-place heal or center of right foot on center stand foot peg and move it to the floor-grab crash bar in front of saddle bag with right hand, handle bar with left hand-rock bike slightly to insure it is on both center stand floor pegs-push down with right foot, pull up with right hand, back with left foot. This may take some time to get all parts doing what needs to be done at the correct time, be patient and practice, it will happen. GEO :music3: :Egyptian:

sheeesh i come apart in so many places before the bike comes off the ground :smilie_happy: no way im useing the thing unless i get my youngest daughter to do for me :mrgreen:

joedrum":wyjsnx9e said:
sheeesh i come apart in so many places before the bike comes off the ground :smilie_happy: no way im useing the thing unless i get my youngest daughter to do for me :mrgreen:

:ahem: keep the parts working together, attached, for best results. Youngest daughter is past three wheelers--correct? :hihihi: :hihihi: :music3: mrgeo

I don't see where it's that hard to do. The more you do it, the easer it comes.
I always put it on the center stand when parked in the garage. My 2 cents :yes: :whistling: :whistling: