Questions for Dan, Joe (and others)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agree i consider stock carbs and car carbs epa nightmares ...there are many things in singles and stock that are not carb related problems vacume leaks is number one there ... i have learned through all this ..that cv carbs lack on low rpm ... that difference is huge ...but must admit single have there problems too as in idle circut trouble ...

I have to find a "mule" to do some experimenting on. I have some later model cfr250 honda carbs that just seem perfect. I even have some Lectrons and a couple of boxes of mikuni's. All really simple, and I have gone from twin carbs on british 40 inchers and back again for different types of racing lots. It will just be interesting to see what ends up working for me. Rattling around is to find a wreck with FI on it, be it a 4 cyl car or bike. Cheap entertainment. Just need for a man out in the matsu valley to come down to reasonable on a gl1000 that is kind of questionable. my plan would be to check the cam wear and do a valve job if necessary and start making some ways to mount them.

Sorry about the figure of speech, Dan. Just meant I didn't care either way. I think both are doable and the single carb probably does provide less work after its tweaked in. Mine are the 77 carbs and the early Keihins were probably the most complicated, two circuits, but three jets and the idle passages are ridiculously hidden. Can't blame the EPA on that design. In my experience, messing with the jets, air or fuel jets, always left me with flat spots. I am of the opinion that they work rather well stock, but for different engines or engine modifications just changing the slides' vacuum is the easiest way to go. . The mixture then stays true to original settings. The slide just has to have the right vacuum.

I haven't done it, but I'll bet the 1000 carbs on an 1100 would work well too by backing the slides vacuum down for the extra 100 cc's. 1100's cost so much to rebuild.

Latest posts