Rear shock lower bolts

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Believer45

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1962 Triuimph Bonneville (sold)
1975 BMW R90/6 (bought new, sold 20+ years later)
1985 GL1200 Interstate, LOVE this bike.
Good day, all. A couple months ago I lost a chunk of tread out of my rear tire. I posted and got some good advise. Multiple "issues" have kept me from getting her back on the road and I am finally getting it apart to put the tire on. I watched a couple videos on how to do it and got the bike up on the center stand high enough to get the tire out, got the rear fender and such out of the way, got the nuts holding the final drive on loosened and pulled the lower shock bolts out but the swing arm would not come off the shocks to drop down and pull the axle. I looked down the bore where the bolts came out and there appears to be a sleeve that is longer than the lower shock bushing is wide. Can anyone tell me if I need to remove a sleeve of some sort to get the swing arm separated from the shocks? My only other option would be to remove the exhaust so I can pull the axle but the clamps that hold the mufflers to the pipe are pretty rusted and I am afraid I will not be able to get the bolts backed off enough to loosen them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave / Believer45

If I remember right that sleeve is part of the shock lower mount,the swing arm should slide down after both bolts are out. I think I had to position the swing arm up and pull the axel out above the mufflers. good luck,

I'm not aware of a sleeve in the lower shock bolt mounts, their just a tight fit and you need to bleed the air pressure off the shocks also. A couple of tips, let the air out of the rear tire and also make sure the driven flange stays in the wheel when you remove it from the final drive. It's a very tight fit on the 1200's. If your taking the final drive out to lube the driveshaft and splines it's not a problem.

Thank you Luke Seel and backlander. I did not want to put any kind of force on it until I was sure the sleeve did not have to come out first. Looks like a job for a small prybar and some judicious force, eh?

Dave / Believer45

Thank you, Slabghost. I figured on pulling the final drive along with the wheel. I have to get the swingarm low enough to slide the axle out under the muffler or risk breaking the bolts on the muffler clamps trying to get them loose to take the mufflers off.

When I pulled the rear on my 1200 standard I used a bar under the exhaust to pull the swingarm down enough to get the axle out. I wasn't worried about possible scratches or dents. If I did any damage I haven't noticed.

Latest posts