Rebuild '82 Standard Wire Harness and Fuse Box

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I work my way through the fuses and relays, one thing is for sure, Honda learned their lesson on the wiring, at least on the '86 1200 Aspy SEI! :hihihi:

All of the wires are at least 12 gauge and some are 10 gauge! That is a sizable difference from the 1100 wiring! :yes:

Printing the schematic for the 1200 fuse box now. I sure wish they did the 1100 schematics the same as the 1200. It sure is a lot easier to follow!

:read: Reading schematics, following wires, checking connections. Boy, I may have bit off more than I can chew with this fuse/rely panel! :shock:

Laying the wires next to the '82 harness makes the '82 harness look like it came off of a minibike! :heat:

It is kinda hard to trace forward and back to see what started out at the key verses what came from a relay and where did the relay get it's power. I can tell you this, all of the wires being at least 12 gauge makes all of them a candidate to carry power from my battery. Even the trigger wires are 12 gauge. There are going to be lots of relays and fuses not needed. But it sure is nice to have them all in one location. :yes: :yahoo:

I just have to decide the best way to connect my current harness (with mostly 14 and 16 gauge wires) to the 12 gauge wires.

Why on earth would they use twelve ga wire, I can understand it from the power source, but for the distance the wires are running 18 ga should be sufficient for most everything else except the charging circuit.

It would be interesting to see the other side of the harness to see if the wiring gauge is the same. Many cases I have seen where wire gauges change in the plugs and whoever manufactured the fuse box, rectifier or other componets used whatever wires they had. I find this all the time in Toyota harnesses with wire gauges and colour codes completely different on either sides of the plugs.

My 85LTD did not have wire sized like that nor does my 1500. #10 and 12 on those two are nearly non existent. A ridiculous amount of 16 and a few supply of 14. Headlights, fuel pumps cooling fans etc mainly 16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you actually checked the gauge sizes with a wire cutter to check conductor size. My experience has always been poor with Honda harness splices and wire size. Loose and barely adequate

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177913#p177913:3sa5t71t said:
Donpauli2 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:47 pm[/url]":3sa5t71t]
Have you actually checked the gauge sizes with a wire cutter to check conductor size. My experience has always been poor with Honda harness splices and wire size. Loose and barely adequate

Yep! This fuse box is from the 86 Aspy SEI unit with the fuel injection. Maybe Honda only used the larger gauge on these bikes? When I can, I'll post a picture of the wires side by side. It is really something!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177911#p177911:24x0johk said:
Ansimp » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:43 pm[/url]":24x0johk]
It would be interesting to see the other side of the harness to see if the wiring gauge is the same. Many cases I have seen where wire gauges change in the plugs and whoever manufactured the fuse box, rectifier or other componets used whatever wires they had. I find this all the time in Toyota harnesses with wire gauges and colour codes completely different on either sides of the plugs.
You might be onto something there Tony! Follow the wires from the fuse box to the connectors in this picture and it sure looks like the wires on the lower harness side are smaller. The small upper harness are the wires from the battery and or ignition switch so they are larger.

image.php

The mix of wires are definitely 12 gauge and 14 gauge. Here is an example of the same wires between my '82 harness at the fuse box and the exact same wire on the '86 fuse box:

image.php

image.php

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177909#p177909:36x1p3w2 said:
OldWrench » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:50 pm[/url]":36x1p3w2]
Why on earth would they use twelve ga wire, I can understand it from the power source, but for the distance the wires are running 18 ga should be sufficient for most everything else except the charging circuit.
Don't know. But they did. And maybe it is only on the '86 Aspy SEI? The funny thing is, I thought that the only fuel injected model was the '85 Limited?

As far as I know the 85 Limited is fuel injected as I have one. I also that the 86 Sei was also the same but different badging

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177979#p177979:2pth4u64 said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:21 am[/url]":2pth4u64]
The mix of wires are definitely 12 gauge and 14 gauge. Here is an example of the same wires between my '82 harness at the fuse box and the exact same wire on the '86 fuse box:

image.php

image.php

image.php

At least they are the same colour code Gerry. :good:

I am having a bit of trouble figuring out the relays and which pins do what. There is one relay that is wired exactly the same as I would expect with 1 wire from the key/battery, 1 wire to light/load, 1 wire to ground and 1 wire to the trigger. But another one has three of the wires jumped together??

There are no markings on the relays other than part numbers.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178055#p178055:25h2g6bv said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:20 pm[/url]":25h2g6bv]
I am having a bit of trouble figuring out the relays and which pins do what. There is one relay that is wired exactly the same as I would expect with 1 wire from the key/battery, 1 wire to light/load, 1 wire to ground and 1 wire to the trigger. But another one has three of the wires jumped together??

There are no markings on the relays other than part numbers.
3 wires together is probably 3 loads and pin across from them is feed.

I will get a pic and color code as soon as I can. I just had a sudden heart condition arise that is sending me for immediate tyesting.

Here is an example of one of the relays:

image.php

image.php

image.php

With this relay installed, the top left spade/pin is from the fuse, the top right spade/pin is from the switch, the bottom left spade/pin is to the light, the bottom right spade is the ground.

Latest posts