Renewing/rust removal/cleaning gas tanks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're delicate, more so now with the age & neglect factor, most of them have been subjected to. :headscratch:

Gave it another lime/calcium/rust cleaner treatment. Let it set for 15- 20 minutes like the bottle said. It's working. I think one more longer treatment will get it all. Oh, I did notice the reserve pick up screen on this tank got damaged somehow.

Attachments

• 2016-04-16 20.39.26.jpg
    2016-04-16 20.39.26.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 409
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171991#p171991:2ul04jcy said:
dan filipi » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:51 pm[/url]":2ul04jcy]
Looking good.
I wonder if brushing it with something like a bottle brush would break loose the rest of the loose bits to rinse out.

Well since the pick up screen is damaged, I'm not going use this tank. I'm gonna work on the one I pulled off of Bumblebee. Shouldn't take much since it's in way better shape than the spare was.

On the two tanks I've done, it wasn't the bottom to worry about on the inside. It was the upper sides and top which can't be seen without a mirror. It appeared both of mine were parked with 1/2-3/4 tank of fuel. In the frozen north we get lots of condensation through the air which causes the rust. I believe you would get this in most parts of the country.

I guess a bunch of marbles rolling around rather than shaking might be safer. Lots of guys run them without the screens.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172024#p172024:1qowmbbg said:
ekvh » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:58 am[/url]":1qowmbbg]
On the two tanks I've done, it wasn't the bottom to worry about on the inside. It was the upper sides and top which can't be seen without a mirror. It appeared both of mine were parked with 1/2-3/4 tank of fuel. In the frozen north we get lots of condensation through the air which causes the rust. I believe you would get this in most parts of the country.

I guess a bunch of marbles rolling around rather than shaking might be safer. Lots of guys run them without the screens.

It is the reserve screen, so it may not be that much of an issue. I could always double up on the fuel filter if ever I need to use the spare tank.