Replacing Coils 1975 GL1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm you explain bronko ..ive been on a long test run in all conditions for months and never had such good running bike ... id say your carbs are causing problems it sounds to me like ...please tell more :popcorn:

Which model C5 do you have? Is it mounted where the stock ignition was? Something is really amiss here. 3 sparks every cycle beats one every time. Is it possible you are running the curve that is retarded for high load use? I suggest you try another curve.

I have the smaller model. Carbs are flawless im sure of it. The bike ran amazing before the switch, and I expected an improvement but didn't get it. Honest to god, if I hadn't cut the coil wires from the stock set up I'd go back and sell the c5 to the highest bidder. I saw all the hype on the forum from it and I bought in but just don't see it. Does the bike run ok, yes but ok is not what I was after. Before th bike ran like a scalded dog and now it just runs ok and when it hits the high rpm range it starts to not pull like it used to.

Don't even think of suggesting the carbs because it's not, period.

It boils down to if I could to it again I wouldn't.

Only 2 curves available and running the stock curve...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152288#p152288:11mh1rju said:
bronko37 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:57 pm[/url]":11mh1rju]
I have the smaller model. Carbs are flawless im sure of it. The bike ran amazing before the switch, and I expected an improvement but didn't get it. Honest to god, if I hadn't cut the coil wires from the stock set up I'd go back and sell the c5 to the highest bidder. I saw all the hype on the forum from it and I bought in but just don't see it. Does the bike run ok, yes but ok is not what I was after. Before th bike ran like a scalded dog and now it just runs ok and when it hits the high rpm range it starts to not pull like it used to.

Which bike is this on and have you tried the other curves? Have you talked with Paul?

hmmmm this is a first for me ...ive never heard a complaint before....seems bronko had his old ignition working very good ...ive got one of the small units also im working with .....with two curves.....as mention id contact paul ....something dosnt sound right here...

maybe some pics or a video of how its running ..... :headscratch: i can only say the c5 has really proved itself to me so far ...as mention before id try both curves see witch one works the best :mrgreen:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152288#p152288:jzxp36hk said:
bronko37 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:57 pm[/url]":jzxp36hk]

Only 2 curves available and running the stock curve...
Solder the old ignition back and I'll give $400 for the used c5 if it's complete.

"Not pull like it used to" sounds like you're running a retarded curve.
I tried a retarded curve when I first put mine in and know the feeling.
Without the engine loaded, it will run odd like that.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152207#p152207:2ky2j7zl said:
bronko37 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:15 am[/url]":2ky2j7zl]
I have installed a C5 and I must admit im less than impressed. I had better performance from my stock set up than I do with my c5. As far as a performance upgrade I just don't see it...

Have ya got that C5 packaged up for me yet? :BigGrin:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152732#p152732:13xoa2sp said:
slabghost » 10 minutes ago[/url]":13xoa2sp]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152207#p152207:13xoa2sp said:
bronko37 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:15 am[/url]":13xoa2sp]
I have installed a C5 and I must admit im less than impressed. I had better performance from my stock set up than I do with my c5. As far as a performance upgrade I just don't see it...

Have ya got that C5 packaged up for me yet? :BigGrin:
Yeah, I'd hate to see it go to waste on someone that doesn't appreciate it's capabilities.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152739#p152739:1khapavo said:
joedrum » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:32 pm[/url]":1khapavo]
oh my LOL...this thread has got off topic bad ....bronko needs to voice his c5 opinion in his own thread ....this is about stock coils and maxystaxie ..... :shock: :popcorn:
:smilie_happy: Right you are Joe! :music2:

Wow, I can't leave you guys alone in here too long or you guys take it in a new direction. :whip:

Just kidding... so I opted to go with the "Green" coils. Now, I know that C5 setup is awesome and all, but at this current time I don't know if I'm ready to drop those monies on it. Partly I'm working on something bigger at this time and making sure my ducks are in the row. I'm hoping to share my secret in the coming weeks with you all and I'm hoping that it will benefit many of you on here as well.

So back to the "green" coils. After taking out the two original coils I did see that both coils had one of their plug wires starting to separate from the coil. This is most likely where the issue of miss firing and arching was coming from.

I soldered on the old wires to the new screw in connections and mounted the "green" coils back on the old mounting bracket. It's not perfect but you can make it work if you can wiggle it into the old coil mounting location on the bike. I did not have to cut into the air intake tube which was a relief. Also I did use the old ballast and just had the mounting bracket zipped-tied to the frame.

PRESTO! She started up and ran better than before. More power and more get up. I do know that this setup will probably deteriorate my points faster, but I'm getting better at timing this thing and it will give me more practice.

I do hope to have the C5 system at a later point. Again it came down to cost for me on this. $120 vs $550

Stay tuned... I'm hoping that my good news will also be good news for you all. Thank you again!!!

Good job! Anything that works is a good thing. Keeping ballast might mean the points are not any more stressed than before.

Latest posts