Replacing Stator on '85 LTD

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering which stator to buy their seems to be several to choose from? Rick's Elctrosport, another is Electrosport Industries. Anyone have idea or opinion on these? I am also wondering if the stator from a 85 SEI will fit. I think they had higher output.

I'm pretty sure it will fit but may need the sei rotor to function as it should. Physically all the flat four stators will interchange with the possible exception of the sei. You'd be the first I know of to try it.

The '85 LTD and '86 SE-i have 500 watt stators versus the 350 watt stators of the carb 1200 models. I would submit that neither the LTD or SE-i stators will fit an '85 1200i.

Interesting dilemma though, the P/N for an '85 LTD is 31120-ML8-751, for the '86 SE-i is 31120-ML8-751 and the one for the 1200i is 31120-ML8-305.

According to Honda, the first 5 digits represent the part, the second three indicate motorcycle make and model, and the last three are the part manufacturer and any modifications made.

As slaghost mentions may need the flywheel (rotor) to suit; however, the P/N for the '85 LTD and '86 SE-i is 31110-MG9-952, and for the 1200i it is 31110-MG9-682. If you try it you will be the first to give it a go as slaghost mentions.

Good luck

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194154#p194154:m2m0lfee said:
85goldwing » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:51 am[/url]":m2m0lfee]
i might be a bit thick in the head this morning but what does this mean? "yep hooch has a 1000 stator in it ....rotor,is 1200"

His bike has a 1200 motor, so the rotating member is a 1200 part but the stator is from a 1000 motor. I did the same thing with my Standard before a faulty regulator burnt that one up also.

If I was going to buy a new stator, it would be one from Ricks.

Not much to say really ...I had stator problems and tried a 1000 stator in a 1200 motor ...there a bit different on how they made but size was the same ...stator fits in 1200 case ...the rotor was never changed ...and it's been working this way for years now.....

Updates, I spoke with a product engineer at Ricks, he informed me that the SEI stator will not work. Long story short, I would need to replace several parts, more then just stator and rotor. So engine is out and i am awaiting parts, the burnt up stator is out and it is easy to see where the burnt wiring is. While waiting i am changing out my maybe, LOL not so legal 60w/100w head light for a new LED conversion the will drop the draw to 18 watts. I am not a decorator light guy when i comes to dodads, nothing against that just not my thing. I will be looking at other reductions in load from this charging system. Think LED everything. I will keep you posted on progress as i can.

Latest posts