Solex Clone Leaking and Adjustments

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. So the test ride still had some hesitation but the good news is that this one has working adjustments. Now, don't flame me, I know how the adjustments are supposed to work, but let me tell you what actually worked.

The little mixture screw needed to be almost all the way out. The big air screw is about halfway out. Then I adjusted the throttle stop to get the idle right. As of right now, it rides pretty decent. I know it sounds crazy. I'll probably ride it tomorrow and see how it is on the highway.

It seems like there is a quality control issue with the carbs and because the gl is so demanding to make its 80hp any little issue is a big one. On a vw, might work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This godforsaken thing still isn't right. Much better don't get me wrong, but not right. Once I was halfway to work, probably about 10 miles or so, it started to feel like it was starved for fuel mod throttle. Idle is good, anything up in the 6k range is good. I can't back that screw out any more. I might add throw to the accelerator pump. Right now it's in the middle. I'm thinking me needs a bigger jet somewhere. Also, my clutch is sticking when hot and slipping when cold. Hard to find neutral. Changed the oil last night hot. Gotta figure this out before I light it on fire and walk away.

slabghost":2uspfhd7 said:
Screw way out would prompt me to drill the idle jet open 1 or 2 sizes.

Yeah but will that effect part throttle performance? Idling has never been a problem. Idle itself seems rich.

Yes it will affect idle and midrange. Getting this carb set up correctly is a balancing act of adjustments. Not really any different from other carb choices.

slabghost":4x04v5ui said:
Yes it will affect idle and midrange. Getting this carb set up correctly is a balancing act of adjustments. Not really any different from other carb choices.
Alright by idle do you mean pilot? The one that screws into the side of the carb? I just feel like my settings are bizarre but I suppose since this carb isn't "for" this application nothing here will be ordinary.

Pilot jet, idle jet, low speed jet, Are all the same thing on most carbs. It is the jet the mixture screw affects. I forget now what size jet brianinpa is using in his.

slabghost":1l0o8599 said:
Pilot jet, idle jet, low speed jet, Are all the same thing on most carbs. It is the jet the mixture screw affects. I forget now what size jet brianinpa is using in his.
Maybe he'll chime in... hopefully.

I had to post this in my bike log so I wouldn't forget it...

Carb jet sizes:

Idle - .30 mm
Main - 1.35 mm

If I remember correctly, the idle started as a.275 and I drilled it out to a .30. The main started as a 1.55 (or 155 as stamped on the jet) and I had to solder the hole closed and drilled a small hole and slowly started to increase the size of the jet until I found what the motor liked best. The 1.35 size gave me zero bog throughout the entire throttle range.

When I was completely finished, I could be doing 30 mph in 5th gear then twist the throttle and the motor would just keep on pulling to redline without any hesitation.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194540#p194540:3rmwh5y1 said:
brianinpa » 2 minutes ago[/url]":3rmwh5y1]
I had to post this in my bike log so I wouldn't forget it...

Carb jet sizes:

Idle - .30 mm
Main - 1.35 mm

If I remember correctly, the idle started as a.275 and I drilled it out to a .30. The main started as a 1.55 (or 155 as stamped on the jet) and I had to solder the hole closed and drilled a small hole and slowly started to increase the size of the jet until I found what the motor liked best. The 1.35 size gave me zero bog throughout the entire throttle range.

When I was completely finished, I could be doing 30 mph in 5th gear then twist the throttle and the motor would just keep on pulling to redline without any hesitation.

Yep, that's what I got too when the carb is set up right. It's a great feeling the smoothness in torque down low, never before there until the single carb.

Latest posts