South !

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Toytender, today isn't going to work for me. My wife is going to work with a nasty cold(unavoidable :roll:) and since she works 12 hrs and myself 8 I have to pick her up when she gets off. That in itself isn't the problem, but she may leave early so I have no idea when I'll have to pick her up. Hopefully you'll still be here Wednesday when I'll be available again.

-Randy

So today I drive from Pahrump to Bolder City to see Hoover Dam. All goes well until the return trip, going Mountain Springs summit the battery light comes on the lights go dim and a few miles down the road the truck quits. 27 miles short of town. :crying: I call AAA Road service, gut some gal in Utah. After some conversation and several calls back and forth she gets road service out of Pahrump and we are saved, only 40 min wait. Now I only have to trouble shoot the alternator and replace it I guess or hope.

With a bit of luck maybe it's just a bad wire. I have single wire alt on my truck and the wire got pulled out of the connector. New connector and it's all good again.

No will be heading south. Got the Alt. replaced at $169.00 for Alt. and installed myself. going to go south to Quartzsite Az. as planned. then west on I-10 and maybe to Elsinore area, to see friends, if I can make contact. anything is possable. :smilie_happy:

Good stuff Bob :good:
I might see you eventually if you keep heading south and paddle a bit :smilie_happy:

Ok the saga continues. I replaced the Alt. but the Bat. light is on Charged the bats but no go. got the truck to Auto Zone and they charged and tested both batts and said they won't hold a charge. so on top of the $167.00 Alt. I now have $277.00 batts. and the bat light is still on. :crying: going to do some more checking this morning. Truck my manule is at home. Oh well that's part of the fun :smilie_happy: :cheeky:

Some older style bat lights get fed from the instrument fuse, it may be coming on due to a faulty fuse. That being said I have had new alternators that are faulty :head bang:

Found the problem !!!! the nut behind the wheel. I trusted the salesman to give me the right part......FOOLISH ME...... :head bang: :head bang: I should have questioned the fact that the light came on and stayed on. my first mistake was not to trust the tester that showed low Alt. output on the new one. Should have known right there it was the wrong one. Went back today and asked him to recheck the numbers. Came back with another number. New one now works great. :BigGrin:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167812#p167812:1seb099d said:
dan filipi » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:43 am[/url]":1seb099d]
Glad you got that pita finished!
+1 :good:

thre never computerized parts system and complete dummy know nothing at all help...and this was suppose to beat the old system ...a knowledgeable parts person ...never did not one day ever :cheeky:

Found a new camping spot in neddles Ca. McDonalds. Got here last night. Going on to Quartzsite for a couple of days then I guess will try to contacy my friends in the Elsinor area. I guess the rest of this vacation willjust be play as you go.
Ex as