Speakers, which ones don't distort at high volume?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh, yes. The 8 track. It wasn't just a juke box. It was an era. Bell Bottoms and Beatle Boots on Sunset Strip, eating sugar cubes in the nude with Pauline in a '59 Impala. A time when organ music was cool.
You know what I mean.

8-tracks? what are those? Are they those things that you had to turn over in the middle of a song to continue? Weren't they invented right after dirt? Surely most of you old guys have seen one. Was Thomas Edison a nice guy? :hihihi:

~O~

Omega Man":3cugkcs2 said:
8-tracks? what are those? Are they those things that you had to turn over in the middle of a song to continue? Weren't they invented right after dirt? Surely most of you old guys have seen one. Was Thomas Edison a nice guy? :hihihi:

~O~

No sir, 8 tracks only went in one way. It was impossible to turn them over. One had to learn the art of untangling the tape every once in awhile. Yes, they were invented right after dirt, but just before dirt got dirty. I think 78 speed records were invented before they had dirt. I think that was in Moses's day. Thomas was still in diapers and throwing fits for his binky.

Ah 8 track, I member them well with the cathunk every track change and saying bye bye to the cassette when the tape tangled or stayed inside the player when ejecting it.
I'm glad they are gone!

Well not sure how much this will help those of you who are looking for upgrading your stereos but i just finished replacing everything. First off was the head unit. I didn't want a cd player, just something that plays the radio and ipod or mp3. So went out and found a perfect unit for the bike. Below are pics that shows my old set up and the new set up. The best part is that you actually put the ipod inside the unit so you don't need to worry about mounting a holder for the ipod or mp3. The unit i bought was last yrs model which cost me 150.00. This yrs model for an extra 50.00 is fully water resistent. Looks exactly the same. I didn't worry so much about the water since i have a cover coming in for the stereo. As for the speakers, the sad part about 4" to 6" speakers is that they don't handle bass. They weren't designed for that. It's the bass that always destroys them. If you turn the bass down , the speakers will last longer. For the most part i find if you have an older head unit, your speakers won't make that much of a difference whether you buy a 20.00 speaker set or 100.00 speaker set. In the end everything is based on you stereo. What it puts out for wattage. The newer unit now generally put out about 45 to 55 watts per channel. At which point now you can look at getting more reliable speakers. I actually just spent 30.00 on JVC 4" speakers and to my surprise sound amazing. They are 25 watts RMS and 125 watts max. And also the newer head units these days produce more then enough wattage that installing an amp is not needed and speakers can handle a little more bass to them.
But this is just my opinion. I drive to work doing 75mph with a really short windsheild and the wind hitting me in the face and i can still hear my speakers. But once my new taller windsheild gets installed those speakers will sound clearer.

Attachments

• 2011-08-08 19.51.06[1].jpg
    2011-08-08 19.51.06[1].jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 2011-08-08 19.50.55[1].jpg
    2011-08-08 19.50.55[1].jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 2011-08-08 19.50.24[1].jpg
    2011-08-08 19.50.24[1].jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Picture 398.jpg
    Picture 398.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 79
I understand where you're coming from, but I think my big issue is that I want to keep the stock clarion control head in the Interstate fairing for nostalgia purposes. I'm gradually becoming convinced that until I'm ready to rip it all out and cut it up with aftermarket upgrades, I'm pretty much limited to "what it is, is what you get".
The new speakers made a significant difference in clarity, but not much in the way of sound quality.
Doing the mp3 thing will simply allow me much more variety without all the cassette tape storage.

crw0003.jpg

You guys got me on the one. I have no idea about the difference in those fairings. Still learning about these bikes.
Marx, thanks for posting that pic of your system. Always wondered what the original syslem looked like and i can see why you'ld want to keep it original. I think for you if you want to keep it but get the sound quality then the only real option is adding an amp for your speakers at which point you would get the sound you want with quality speakers and keeping the original look.
I also noticed you were wondering about the sound between radio and tape. It's always like that. Radio is running off of frequencies. It's not direct sound that you get like a tape player or cd player. Radio will always be less amplified, i guess that would be the way to explain it. Also you mention getting a fm transponder for a mp3. Expect the sound to be roughly the same as if you were listening to the radio. But you are right, mp3 will be so much easier to manage then having a bunch of tapes to carry around.

quennc":1enwg08k said:
You guys got me on the one. I have no idea about the difference in those fairings. Still learning about these bikes.

I show one of each in the GIF in my signature.

The black one is 1982 Standard sport'n Vetter fairing with Vetter trunk and bags.
The red one is 1983 Interstate loaded with the Honda issue.

quennc":3pkt5y15 said:
Well looking at the pics mine is a honda fairing.

Cool.

I was wondering where you got the radio/ speaker housing?
I might install one on mine.

quennc":15s9dq59 said:
I think for you if you want to keep it but get the sound quality then the only real option is adding an amp for your speakers at which point you would get the sound you want with quality speakers and keeping the original look.

It has the amp in the fairing. At least I think that's what that is, best I can figure without removing it to see better. How do I tell if it's working? Just by the fact that I can hear music from the speakers? I'm pretty dumb when it comes to stereo "tech". Could I put a newer model amp to make any improvement? I don't know. Is that the way it works? This set up might just be as good as it's gonna get.

I wish I was savy enough to put in a newer tuner and wire it up to work with the original control head. I think that would get me what I want, but I doubt it would even be possible. Am I talk'n crazy?

I don't think that's crazy but I don't know what amp would work with the control head.
Might be worth a call to sierra electronics, they still work on these.

What I do know is the sound quality to the speakers, even with a quality distortion free amp, will only sound as good as what the head unit is sending to it. Send static it will only amplify static.
Even my $400 Alpine and 600 watt amp sounds better with an equalizer.

When it comes to amps, again it's based on age. They've improved over the yrs to allow better quality sound. Now there is one other things you can do if you plan on using an mp3. I've rfecently learned about these units and if i didn't already have the stereo on my bike i would have gone to one of these. And Dan you might want to consider one of these units also. What they are is basically just a amp unit that your mp3 or ipod connects to directly and runs out straight to your speakers. No head unit what so ever. Comes with remote that controls everything. The reason i'm pointing this unit to you Marx is that it's small, takes little to know room and you still keep your original look with the old stereo. Most people who would see your bike would think your stereo is pounding even though your using a seperate unit that they can't see. I do beleive you should keep the original look of your ride. If i had your set up , i wouldn't change it. But with one of these little units would be great for you to keep that look and still get what you want. Wiring is extremely simple, It's basically plug and play. Check out the link i have here and let me know what you think. I just searched quick on here to find an example of one.

The first link has a video so you can see how it works and the second is just other options of similar units.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/250-WATT-MOTORCY ... 2eb71e98f3
https://cruisingwithtunes.com/default.aspx