Sports question ???

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabghost

Reaction score
I know this may possibly be inflammatory but here goes. What is the appeal in watching highly paid athletes fight over a ball? I'm talking any ball of course but football seems the most popular. Over the years I've worked with many who would skip work or any occasion just to watch a game. I've never been attracted so I honestly don't know. I like a good race of any kind but only if I've nothing else to do. So could someone please explain the appeal to me? :thanks:

I'm the same way.
My wife's Dad spent over 6 grand on a 52" plasma way back when they first came out so he could have friends over to watch football.
And it's not just football. Hockey, basketball and some baseball. He's addicted to golf, one of the most boring games I can think of.
I'm just too busy to get interested but I've never been interested, even when I did have more time.
I've tried and just can't get into it.

Yes, someone please explain what's the appeal with these games!?

I can watch an occasional baseball game but much prefer to be there at the stadium, mostly for the atmosphere, hot dogs and beer but I sure wouldn't go alone, more as a family outing and even at that I get bored with it all after the first hour.

(Topic moved to "Way off topic")

No answer here. I couldn't care less about a football game but my wife and three sons are the biggest football fans you can imagine. Last week I did go to a Buckeyes game just because my grown sons and my wife were going.
Back in the '60 I kworked in a machine shop and that was the ONLY topic of conversation at lunch. My wife would give me some sports tidbits everyday ( injured list, games coming up,etc) just so I could join in. I don't think they ever caught on that I was a fake sports fan. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I need help too! Last time I got into a sports conversation during a baseball game...everyone started cheering at the play on TV and I ask, "what happended...did they get that touch down?" :popcorn: :yahoo:

I wasn't invited back???? :wave: :hihihi:

Oh yes, the arm chair quarter back. No appeal here for the pro game.
Collage football and basketball is another thing. Enjoy watching the collage level.
I know, I know. From the collage they go to the pro game, but I don't go
with them. It stops there.
I can,t tell you what it is. :beer: :salute: :beer: :salute: :beer: :salute: :beer: :? :? :?

Good to know addiction to pro-ball-sports is not universally American. LOL.

Sorry, of course I don't have the answer. I watch formula-one fairly regularly, yes it's not popular in the States and the drivers are highly paid. Not sure why I watch once every other Sundays getting up 4:30 in the morning. :head bang:

:shock: :ahem: :smilie_happy:
Would that be girl's Beach Volleyball, Ron? 'Cause if it is, I'm wid ya on that! :yahoo:
:smilie_happy:

I don't get into watching ball games of any kind, but I do watch sometimes iffin the Cowgirls...er....Cowboys are playin. Mostly these days just to see how bad they screw up at the last minute. Other than that, ball games just don't do it fer me. Golf? Really? :nea: I play Polar Golf(& Polar Bowling) on my 'Puter...does that count? :Doh2:

tennis is a great played it all my life till i my foot almost totaly cut off in a accideent ....where a farm tractor broke a huge clevis hitch in a pull a flew 50=60 ft and hit me in the foot ...bashashing it into excet for the achillies tenden in the back of your foot ....it took two yrs to be able to walk ....ifinaly got towhere i could do everything i did before except tennis witch is a huge demanding sport i miss greatly ... :mrgreen:

Actually I'm pretty surprised myself. Seems I can't go anywhere outside the house without overhearing at least one conversation on sports.

Maybe if I could afford to go to a game, it might interest me. To bring one peson to any game in boston would easily take a weeks pay for tickets and food. Just not worth it. I can't justify that kind of expence.